Bickmore Buzz: Spring 2021 April-May

Hi family!
Wow! It has been quite the spring for us. Sooooo long story short, a lot has happened with the Bickmore's. Isaac's university, UCM went through a retrenchment this year and unfortunately, his position was retrenched. He was given a terminal contract which meant that his job would officially end 2022. Meanwhile, Isaac applied for a job at BYU last October which was right up his alley as far as what he would be teaching. He was a finalist and it seemed like all the stars were aligning in our favor and we would get to be closer to family. We finally heard back from BYU three weeks after the news from UCM and they said that no, he did not get the position. Poor William was devastated. I haven't seen him sob like that in years. For me personally, I was heartbroken that I would not get to be close to my family again, but I love Missouri and I'm looking forward to being here for a lot longer. 

While we were waiting to hear back from BYU, Isaac applied for another university position in Portland and then a K-5 elementary music teaching job in North Kansas City which is what he was doing before his PhD. We never heard back from Portland, but he was offered the job in North KC. I told Isaac we should go and meet the principal, see the school, etc. before accepting the job. We did and it sure brought us peace, excitement and confirmation that this was the right thing for our family. The principal is our age, his philosophies align with ours,  and they're building a brand new school which will open next year. Isaac will have so many resources and a higher salary. Like a 20% salary increase. And he'll get a bonus every year for having his PhD.  The area is wonderful and we'll only be 15 min from the temple and the airport. 

Our home is up for sale. No offers yet. It's been on the market for 17 days. The homes with 4 or more bedrooms are selling like hot cakes, but not the 3 bedrooms, which is what our house is. The good news is there's not much for sale in town so I figure someone will buy our place someday---just hopefully in the next few weeks! So ya, it's been a whirlwind of a spring. 

We've been doing some church history site seeing. We took a day to see the sites in Missouri and then over Mother's Day weekend, we went to Nauvoo. I now have some context to what I've been hearing about my whole life regarding the early days of the church. It amazes me how the Saints were able to build thriving settlements from nothing. I particularly loved hearing about the different skill sets in Nauvoo--blacksmith, gun maker, baker, architect, etc. and how they all contributed their talents to building Nauvoo. When we walked the trail of hope, I empathized with how that must have felt to have to leave your things behind and move forward into uncharted territory, not knowing if you'd survive or not. We saw on the pioneer memorial that an Isaac Bickmore did not survive the journey. It made me grateful that at least I can drive to my next home, pack whatever I want, and know that my family will be just fine on the journey. 


Far West, Missouri where the four cornerstones of the temple are

Adam Ondi Ahman

Hauns Mill Memorial listing the names of the 18 saints who were murdered.

Beautiful Nauvoo Temple

Happy Mother's Day!

Do you see the temple behind us?


Other updates this spring--lots of walking on the Hamilton trail before we have to move and leave it behind. Last night I saw so many deer and fireflies!



Van loves his tank tops so he can show off his muscles!!

At church, Van couldn't read the hymn numbers behind the pulpit so we went and got his eyes checked. Sure enough, he needed glasses. I love our eye doctor. She is the sweetest. Her assistant made a balloon animal for Van. Hopefully it will work out with insurance for us to keep our dentist and ophthalmologist here in Warrensburg.

Here's Van in his new glasses!! I noticed quite a few selfies on my phone the day he got them, including this one.  :)


The boys had their piano recital last Sunday night. I may be a little bias, but dang these two boys are handsome! Oh, and they did amazing on their pieces. I'm glad they had a chance to perform on a stage in front of a large group. I'm also glad those performance anxiety days are over for me. 

This guy seems to be right at home when he's on the stage. I need to find a performing arts studio in North KC and sign him up for theater.


Van and his teacher, Miss Debbie.

Overheard at our house:
  • Van, angry that he couldn't find his money jar yelled, "I can't find my money jar because there's so much effing stuff under my bed!!" I had shoved a ton of stuff under there before they took pics of the house. LOL
  • Will, everyday, "I'm so excited for Deacon to come!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!