Spring Break 2021--Off to see the Burks!
This year for spring break we drove down to Slidell, Louisiana to see Abbey, Michael, and SAWYER! It was so much fun. It had a lousy ending where Isaac and I both got sick with the stomach flu, but the rest of the week was full of memory making, bonding, and doting over Sawyer.
Highlights of the trip:
1. We made a stop in Little Rock, Arkansas on the way down and saw Little Rock Central High School, one of the historical markers of the Civil Rights Movement where 9 African American students integrated the high school. There was a visitors center with exhibits to learn more about this historical event. I'm so glad we made the stop. It's important to me that my kids learn about this part of our American history.
2. Michael, Abbey and Sawyer all came down with the stomach flu a few days before we arrived, but we made the decision to proceed with the trip and take the risk. It was worth it for sure!
3. When we arrived at the house, I surprised Sawyer with a new outfit and put it inside a Mickey Mouse gift bag. My trick worked! I held up the bag and she gave me a big smile and went right into my arms. Sawyer is a very social girl--she loves being with people and is constantly talking baby gibberish. I told Abbey, "I wonder where she gets that from!" :)
4. Initially we were going to go to New Orleans, but opted to go to the aquarium in Gulfport MS instead. It was a wise choice. The kids had a blast and it was perfect for Sawyer. We saw dolphins, alligators, a crocodile turtle, and a sea turtle!
5. The next day we drove back to Gulfport to spend the day at the beach. As we were pulling out of the driveway, Will said, "I think I'm going to throw up." We grabbed a barf bowl and amazingly, it was never put to use. He ended up sleeping the whole time at the beach. I love the Gulf! The sand is so soft and the waves are much smaller than the Pacific ocean. The water is warmer too. Van had fun playing with Sawyer and building a sand castle with his daddy-o. We got to see Sawyer sit in the sand for the first time and she started to mimic, specifically Abbey's laughs. It was soooo cute!
6. One night we played a game of Clue. Isaac suggested that we talk like our character. Michael was Miss Scarlett and Will was laughing so hard.
7. Abbey's snickerdoodles are. the. BEST!
8. We took Sawyer on a walk in her stroller. Van enjoyed pushing her. At one point, he asked me to take over. As we walked he picked up some soft dirt and let it fall through his hands. Seconds later, he complained of ants on his hands and arms biting him. He realized the dirt he picked up was actually an ant hill!
9. Abbey made the boys t-shirts on her Cricut machine. I recently learned you could make shirts with the Cricut so Abbey happily agreed to making some for the boys.
10. Sawyer, Sawyer, Sawyer! What a delightful baby! When it's nap time and bed time, she puts in her pacifier, lays in her crib and goes right to sleep. I think I saw her cry probably three times at the most during our stay. She's full of squeals, giggles, and jabbers, she loves to read books, play with Link (cat) and Lola (dog). She loves riding in the carseat and the stroller. She'll eat anything. She's just all around awesome! And she especially loves her uncle Isaac!! He got some good laughs out of her--hanging her upside down, making funny faces and noises, he's just the best at interacting with babies and kids.
Overheard during the trip:
- When Isaac and I were bed ridden with the flu, Abbey took care of the boys. When she was putting them to bed, Will said, "Abbey, you're the best aunt. I love you."
- Will: "Mom, Sawyer is such a cute baby. She's such a happy baby too."
- Van: "I don't want to leave Sawyer!"
- Van: "I wish Aunt Abbey and Uncle Michael could donate Sawyer to us."

Comments