Reflecting on 2020

Things I learned in 2020:

I really love where I live even more. The woods have been such a retreat and we've loved going on walks on all the trails around us. The open skies and open land are beautiful. Being outside makes it easier for me to find gratitude. It's hard to be mad when a cardinal is singing, a hawk is flying overhead, the squirrels are scrambling up the trees, the sun is setting in the west, the deer are leaping through the woods, you get the idea. A highlight of the year was sharing this surrounding beauty with my family. 


I want America to be better. I've studied and read books, articles, listened to podcasts, watched documentaries, etc. on the history of racism in our country. One thing that 2020 has taught me is that racism is still very much alive in our country and is even found in the highest elected offices. It's more than someone using the n-word. It is built in the criminal justice system, the work force, housing, urban development, school system. It's found in our way of thinking, ie. "If people just work hard, they can be successful like me" or "They should just stop playing the victim and get a job."  In every issue you care about, you'll find there is an angle that has to do with social justice. 

I signed up to receive a daily email from the Equal Justice Initiative. Each day I read an email beginning with "On this day in ___" then it proceeds to give a year and a news article of something that happened surrounding racism. It is so disturbing to read how black people have been terrorized in this country and then nothing happens to those who beat, hang, kill and burn humans. Yes, we've come a long ways, but man do we still have a ways to go. One day, I hope to recite the pledge and say the words, "with liberty and justice for all" and feel like it's a true statement. I feel encouraged that more and more people in our country believe that Black lives matter and are making changes within their sphere of influence. 

"I Can't Breathe!" "No Justice! No Peace!"

"Say his name!" George Floyd! 
"What's her name?" Breonna Taylor!


I'm grateful our family could participate in the protest here in Warrensburg. Hundreds of protests took place all over the world this year in solidarity for Black Lives. I'll never forget it.

Sophie introduced me to a blog called Happily Fed. Basically, she teaches to eat joyfully and move joyfully. Don't eat a certain way because you're trying to lose weight and don't stress about what you're eating. If you feel like eating a donut, then eat a donut. If you don't feel like eating a donut, don't.  It's taken a lot of shift in my thinking, but I feel more at ease not stressing about my food intake. Also, I've found joyful movement in walking, yoga, and ballet workouts. I appreciate Happily Fed's counsel and will continue following it.


I love the new church curriculum "Come Follow Me". It's such a helpful guide for our family scripture study. In 2020, we studied the Book of Mormon and it definitely gave us strength throughout 2020.
You can spend as little as 5 minutes or as long as you want having a discussion. A little each day goes a long way. Looking back at all the changes our church has made in the last three years, it seems that it was for this moment--a global pandemic in 2020. Having a home centered curriculum allowed our family to continue church at home. It was a blessing. We also got to zoom with Isaac's family each Sunday and have a Come Follow Me lesson. It's been great strengthening our family relations through gospel study.

Three things we've heard a lot during this year "Wear a Mask, Wash your hands, and keep your distance." Our family has stayed true to those guidelines and came out of 2020 Covid free. Yay! 


Despite travel restrictions, I've actually connected with my family a lot this year thanks to Zoom, Face time and What's App. We've done family zoom chats, family Kahoots, and online game nights with friends. We were also able to attend funerals online and mourn with family from afar. I hope to continue staying connected virtually even after the pandemic ends. 


Peace out 2020!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!