Happy Mother's Day May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers and grandmothers, daughters, aunties, and sisters! I love you!

It's been a good week. I love getting to zoom with my preschoolers everyday for 30 minutes. They are so cute and funny and they brighten my mornings. It's fun preparing story times for them and making craft videos (Thank you Isaac!).

Isaac is done with the semester. He has to turn in his grades this week and plan for his summer course that will begin on May 18th. He's waiting to hear if he has been awarded a grant he applied for a few weeks ago.

William continues to love the quarantine. He had a virtual middle school orientation on Thursday. He just shrugged his shoulders and rolled his eyes when I asked him if he was excited. I think he'll enjoy it. The hard thing is no one knows what school will look like in the fall. My sister Caroline and sister in law Amelia who both teach outside of the US say that their schools are going to do part virtual, part "in the classroom" teaching to prevent having the students altogether at once. I told my boss I don't want to work anywhere else and that I'm nervous about the outcome of my job. She said she will do everything she can to make it work and make sure I've got a job. So, ya. Crazy times.

Van has been particularly moody the past few days. He's been saying more often, "I miss my friends."   It's hard when Van is in a mood because he gets belligerent. Yesterday, I said we were going to the state park to hike the trails and he threw a major fit. I wanted so badly to yell at him to stop being so selfish and wanting to have his way all the time. But I was proud of myself because I just pondered for a minute and said a quiet prayer that I would know what to say. It came to me and it wasn't until we were in the car that I said, "Van, I know you don't want to go on this hike, but I really appreciate you doing it anyway. Thank you." He just scowled, but didn't yell or argue so that's a relief.

I had a sad moment earlier this week when I found out the swimming pools will remain closed for the entire summer. I was looking forward to getting more pool time this year since last summer was a doozy for me! Waaa!

When Isaac asked what I wanted for Mother's Day, he suggested a home project since I've been talking about all the things I want to fix up in the house during our confinement. I said, "What about a garden box? The boys could help you build it!" He was on it and we now have a second garden box with tomatoes, poblano pepper, cilantro, and lavender. Such a great gift! He also bought me some flowers that attract honeybees to add to our yard.

I also requested an açaí bowl for breakfast, a hike through Pertle Springs, family portraits (using the iPhone and tripod), falafel dinner, and a sing along movie. Isaac rocks and made it all happen. I'd also like to note that the sing along movie was The Little Mermaid. I can quote 99% of that movie. On each song I turned up the volume full blast so Isaac and I could sing our hearts out whilst hearing the characters. It was SO. FUN. The boys didn't complain either. I like to believe that they enjoyed it.









Pertle Springs. We have so many woodsy trails within 5 miles of our house. I LOVE it.




Mother's Day 2020 Photo Session






Isaac and William built that awesome campfire medallion. Do you see my painted box?







Our friends, The Huff's moved on Thursday. We've become so close. Their two oldest boys are the same age as Will and Van. We spent a lot of time together and also helped each other out with our kids. We will really miss them!




Overheard at our house:
When I was making rice Krispy treats, Van came right over and said, "Mom, can I help?" I said "Yup" and continued mixing the marshmallows and cereal. He said with some snark, "Don't you know what 'Can I help you?' means?" Me- Sigh


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!