Bickmore Buzz May 24, 2020

Hi family!

The past two weeks we've had spirit weeks. This past week was movie spirit week. We watched a movie every night together--The Lorax, Sonic the Hedgehog, Jumanji, and Troop Zero (soooo good!). We also had a different treat each night to go with our movie. I've decided to keep planning a spirit week each Sunday to give us something to look forward to, whether we stick to it or not. This week we are going to do art week! Molding Monday (clay), Tear Art Tuesday (collage), Watercolor Wednesday, Theater Thursday (masks), and Funny Friday (comics). Don't you love the alliteration?

Isaac and I concluded that we need  to work on our endurance. The trail by our house is a hilly walk so each time we came to a hill, we'd run up the hill and find ourselves huffing and puffing at the top. Our friend, Jake, says, "Welcome to 40."

We went to the Sentgeorge's last night for dinner. They are so awesome. I'm grateful we have friends like them here. They just bought a trampoline for their kids. Since our public pool is closed for the summer and none of us are going on vacations, we're looking forward to trampoline parties---and probably injuries.

William finally got back into Harry Potter and is reading the last book. He is sassy as all get out, but I just love him so much. He ugly cried at the end of Troop Zero. He has such a sensitive soul. He and Van have been playing Super Smash Bros with Deacon almost everyday. They LOVE it and always have a blast.

Van recommended I read "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane", so I read it aloud with the boys. Will thought it was too sad, which there is a very sobering part in it, but the end is happy. Will said, "Mom, why do you like all the sad books? I like books with action and adventure." I checked out two other books by the same author, Kate DiCamillo to read with them. I may end up just reading them alone. Van is bossy as all get out, but I love him too, so much. I had a heart to heart talk with him this week about being respectful and obedient. We came up with a code word, "Remember" when he's being defiant so that all I have to say is that one word and then he can make a better choice.

Our last day of school was Friday. Yay! I did a slideshow for the preschoolers and highlighted all the graduates in our zoom class. Next week, they'll come to the studio to pick up their belongings in a drive-thru fashion. I'll hand them their bag of things and say hello through the car. Even though, school years are ending differently than we're used to, I've loved seeing all the creative ways schools and communities recognize the students.

Isaac was awarded a grant this week! Woo hoo! He applied a few months ago to redesign a course he teaches so that the students can be more prepared to teach in urban areas. He'll start his project in the fall. He also found out that his submission for publication has been reviewed. There are some things he needs to edit by June 30th and then hopefully he can get published!! He started teaching his summer graduate course on May 18th.

Last Christmas, my mom and I planned to attend her family's annual Memorial Day picnic in Minnesota. My sister Kelly was going to come too. But with the pandemic, that's been cancelled. My mom was supposed to come this last Wednesday, but after reading the travel guidelines, decided it would be best to postpone. It's been hard looking at my calendar and seeing all the fun things we had planned this summer not come to pass.

Today we had a Quarantine Spotify Playlist party with Isaac's family. It was so fun. We all picked a song that's helped us through the quarantine and Amelia put together a playlist. Then we took turns sharing why we picked the song that we did.

Overheard at our house:
Van: "Mom, I'm so glad you married Dad so that I can be related to Deacon. I just love Deacon so much."


Comments

Barb G. said…
Love all of this! You are so creative in getting through this pandemic!
Congrats on the grant, Isaac!
Love you all! Van...Remember!!"

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!