Bickmore Buzz April 5, 2020

Hi family!
How is everyone doing? We just ended week 3 of school closure. I have to give a big shout out to Will and Van. They have been so good the last two weeks since we started "home" school. Home school for us is a little bit of structure in the morning and then video games at 3:00 pm. Our school district is not doing assignments or grading. They've given the kids online resources as part of a review rather than introduce new curriculum. It really takes the pressure off and I'm grateful they're doing it that way.

I find that if I start the mornings off right and save video games for the late afternoon, we're all happier. It's been very helpful not having to rush out the door in the morning. We have time now to do Come Follow Me in the mornings and say affirmations at the breakfast table.

My former colleague, Anne Marie, moved to Alaska and said we could have her trampoline. It's taken us a few months to drive over there and get it but we finally did. The boys like jumping on it. We're planning on a trampoline sleepover in the near future. We'll see!

After dinner, we like to have family TV time. We've been watching episodes of Lego Masters and have watched a few movies (ONWARD!! SOOO GOOD!)

Today was Palm Sunday. It was also General Conference for our church. This month we are celebrating the 200th anniversary of the first vision and restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Our prophet elected to do a Hosanna Shout to celebrate the occasion. It was today at the conclusion of our morning session. Isaac and I had handkerchiefs to wave. Mine was a lace one that I bought from Belgium years ago specifically for these kind of occasions.

Because of COVID 19, the conference was not held in the conference center with the choir singing live. Rather, the music played was from past sessions of general conference. Sometimes, participating in rituals can feel a little awkward. But doing the Hosanna shout today with Isaac and the boys along with millions of other members around the world was a very spiritual experience. I got emotional when the choir began to sing the Hosanna Anthem and the Spirit of God because it was a video recording of the dedication of the conference center almost 20 years ago.That dedication was an experience I'll never forget. I remember exactly where I was. I was with my family at my brother's house. Once the choir finished singing the anthem, the conductor turned around and began leading the audience in the hymn, The Spirit of God. Our family was singing the hymn and when the camera was panning the audience, we noticed a young man in his 20s stand to his feet. Others immediately followed suit and soon the entire audience in the conference center was standing and singing together. It was so powerful. The interesting thing is I've been thinking about that experience the last few years and have tried to find the recording of that dedication to show the boys, specifically the moment when the man stood up, but had never been able to find it. So, today when the recording of the choir began playing, I was excited to relive the experience and show Isaac and the boys the moment when the man stood up. Isaac and I could barely sing, fighting back our emotions. I'm grateful we got to participate in the Hosanna Shout, especially on Palm Sunday.

The last month has been such an emotional roller coaster. I've tried hard to just focus on what I can control--social distancing, my family, and my job. I worry a lot for the people outside the walls of my home who are suffering.  At times it can get dizzying. I'm grateful I can still zoom online with my preschoolers everyday and prepare story times for them. It's been a helpful distraction. I'm also grateful for walks outside, bike rides, movie nights, and good books.

Isaac made delicious banana pancakes

We made uplifting signs and did a honk and wave to spread the love to our friends safely. 

On April Fools Day, I did a Wacky Wednesday online story time with my class. Van wanted to dress wacky too.

Testing out a drawing app

Will made this Lego dragon during conference. I'm always impressed when people can build things without instructions.

He named it Ridley

Every April Fool's I draw mustaches on the boys the night before while they're asleep. William knew I was going to do it and said, "Mom, if you're going to draw mustaches on us, you have to wait until after midnight or it won't count." For the record, I did it at 12:45 am. So. It counted. 

We watched "Onward" on Friday night. These two were feeling the brotherly love afterward.  They kept laughing while they were snuggling each other.  Later, I found William reading aloud to Van. It was the sweetest thing. 

The boys have been really relaxed. I think a break from school has been good for them. William particularly is much happier and more at ease.

Overheard at our house:
Me: Van, did you brush your teeth? Van: "Yes." (I give him a questioning look) "but I'll do it again in case I didn't."
William: "Before you leave, everyone has to say what they think I should do to improve my Ridley."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!