Bickmore Buzz April 12, 2020
Hi family! Happy Easter!
Welp, we've made it another week in the quarantine. This has been the hardest week for ME yet. I've had a cough for a little over a week now. I know, I know. The immediate thought is, "Does she have the coronavirus?" I asked a nurse who works at our hospital and she said I can't be tested unless I have a fever. I haven't had a fever so I've just been laying low and not going anywhere. The few times I felt energized I think I pushed myself too much because I ended up wheezing really bad and just felt exhausted. So, I've limited my exercise to gentle yoga and shorter walks. I'll be so relieved when I feel 100% again. I miss my long bike rides, walks, and indoor workouts. I find my anxiety gets worse when I'm not exercising (imagine that!).
Another thing that's been hard for me this week is the realization that my favorite job in the world, my current job teaching part time preschool, is not a very sustainable job. My hours have been reduced from 25 hours a week to 10 hours a week. There's no health insurance or retirement. Waaaaa. It's just hard because I know I won't be able to do this job forever like I wish I could. Can't a girl catch a break? LOL. No, I do feel blessed to be in the circumstances I'm in as far as having a safe home, neighborhood, SOME wages, awesome kids and husband, etc.
The Missouri governor issued an order earlier this week that schools will remain closed until the end of the year. We all knew it was going to happen at some point, but when it became definite, it was sad for me. The boys are thrilled, of course. But, I'm bummed that I won't see my students for a long time and that Will won't get to do the end of the year stuff since he's entering middle school this fall. I told them that we have GOT to get back on track with schooling since Legos and trampoline time have taken over. I'm glad they've had time to be creative, but "do all things in balance" right? Maybe. We'll see.
I don't remember if I mentioned this in the last newsletter--Mrs. Shaw, our librarian who invited William to eat lunch with her everyday when they were in school, calls him every Tuesday and Thursday and they do Face time for a half hour. Usually, his friend Brock can join the call too. Will loves it. I love Kiersten Shaw. SO. MUCH.
Isaac teaches online and has a weekly staff meeting, but that's about it. He really wants two things right now--an electric mini bike and a cat. I call it the Corona-boreds.
Overheard at our house:
- We were watching a video of someone doing a puppet show with socks to "I Will Survive." Halfway through the video, Van said, "Wow, that dog is really good!" Will agreed. I was so confused. I was like, "What dog?" Van clarified, "The dog doing that. Is it wearing casts or something?" I started laughing and said, "That's a GIRL wearing SOCKS on her hands for puppets." They both said, "Oooooohhh! We thought it was the dog's arms." I guess we'll be making sock puppets this week so my kids know what those are! Sheesh!
- We started watching The Ten Commandments last night to start an annual Easter tradition. Isaac was telling the boys that the same artist who painted the scenes from The Book of Mormon, was the costume designer for the film. We could definitely see the similarities. Isaac said, "Oh just wait when Moses becomes a prophet." Van said, "Ya, he'll be in black and white with a tie."
| Isaac downloaded Calvin and Hobbes on the iPads. The boys devoured them. |
| New lounge pants from Grandma Lisa. I love them sooo much! |
| Van is so proud of his Bowser that he drew from a guided drawing video. |
| Will and Van started a pen pal project with Grandma Lisa and Grandma Garrett. Will is writing to Grandma Lisa and Van is writing to Grandma Garrett. Here's Will reading his letter. |
| I love holidays! I love making up signs for my kids that match the holiday theme and posting them on the pantry all month. |
Happy Easter! We've enjoyed learning more about the Atonement this week. Now, we're going to watch the videos on ComeUntoChrist.org about the week of Easter. We did our egg hunts/baskets yesterday. It's been a fun weekend.
Comments