Say whaaaaaa?
"Say whaaaa?" is how I feel about my epic July. The fourth day we were in Utah, my surgeon called and informed me that the biopsy I had the week before confirmed that I do have thyroid papillary carcinoma a.k.a thyroid cancer (say whaaa?). She said to take heart in that it's the most treatable cancer. I was to have a total thyroidectomy July 5th. It was weird to think I have cancer, but I was relieved it wasn't anything crazy like brain cancer. So, the week before after we returned from Utah, I spent time cleaning the house and preparing for my surgery--like purchasing a recliner I could sleep and rest in.
The day before, July 4th, there was a patriotic parade for the kids. Small towns are great for things like this.
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers and kind gestures!! It's been a cruel, but also blessed summer.
Overheard at our house:
The day before, July 4th, there was a patriotic parade for the kids. Small towns are great for things like this.
I took a selfie the night before--my last night with a thyroid!! I felt ready. I made sure to not eat or drink 6 hours before. I packed a few things to take with me. We made arrangements for the boys. Isaac gave me a blessing. I was confident in my surgeon Dr. Ghazali. I'm a little obsessed with her because she is so smart, personable, skilled, professional, and beautiful. I'm so grateful she was the one taking care of me. And I am totally biased when it comes to female doctors.
This was me after the surgery. I loved everything about my hospital stay. The hospital here in Warrensburg has an amazing medical staff. They were so sweet. The room was so spacious and comfortable. When Dr. Ghazali came to check on me, I half jokingly said, "I should get my gallbladder out so I can get two major medical things done in one insurance year." She said, "Well, let's get this thyroid issue taken care, and then we can talk about that." I only had to stay 24 hours and returned home.
The day after my surgery, home sweet home.
3 days later. Looking good!
So one week after my surgery, things were getting better. I was able to walk around the block. I was looking forward to being able to drive the boys to where they needed to go and get on with things slowly but surely. Then exactly one week after my thyroidectomy, things got interesting. About 4 pm, I had a dull ache in my chest. We had planned to go out to eat to get out of the house. When we pulled up to the restaurant about 5, I was in pain. I told Isaac to get my food to go because I needed to go back home. Well, they didn't let us get food to go so we just went home. I had a sandwich and green salad. The pain started to get worse and it reminded me of the heartburn attack I had the night before I went into labor with William. So, I got in the shower and tried to relax, but it just kept getting worse. I got out of the shower and didn't even bother to put clothes on because I was hurting so bad. I sat down by the bed while Isaac phoned a nurse in our ward. Within seconds I was writhing in pain, making crazy noises, and sweating profusely. This was about 6 pm. Isaac said, "We need to go to the hospital." I yelled, "There's no way I can move and get in the car. Call 9-1-1." The paramedics were there in minutes. Isaac phoned our friends to pick up the boys and then told Will and Van to pray for me. I could feel myself fading away like I do when I'm about to faint. Isaac had helped me get a shirt and pants on thank goodness before they got there. Once they inserted an IV and got fluids in me, I felt better. They got me out into the ambulance on this upright stretcher. Our neighbors were congregated together on the street with concerned looks. Later, my neighbor Pamela said she knew something was up when I wasn't smiling because I always have a smile on my face. :) We got to the ER and they mentioned "gallbladder". I realized right then that that's what was wrong. They did a scan and it showed a gallstone stuck in my bile duct. My liver had fluid around it and that indicated a possible infection (say whaaaaa?). This also meant that I would have to go to downtown Kansas City to the Saint Luke's hospital there because our hospital doesn't have a GI specialist (say whaaaaa?). I told Isaac to go home and pack some stuff for me, but to sleep at home and not come in the ambulance with me. Poor guy looked so tired. Around 2:00 am, they transported me in the ambulance to Kansas City. The room was not as spacious. Around sunrise, the sun was shining right in my face because the window had thin blinds with no black out curtain. I asked the nurse for a washcloth to go over my eyes. I missed the Warrensburg hospital. Saturday morning, a team of doctors came in and explained the procedure to remove my gall stone. They also said I would not be going home until my gall bladder was removed (say whaaaaaa?). I asked if I could have Dr. Ghazali do it back in Warrensburg, but they said it was mandatory and I would not be able to leave the hospital until my gallbladder was out.
At first they were talking about possibly removing my gallbladder the same day as my first procedure, but I wasn't comfortable going from one thing right into another. I felt like I needed time to get over the anesthesia. The anesthesia with my scope made me very nauseous.
Of course, while all of this was happening, my mom was beside herself in Utah worried about us. She booked a flight to come stay with us and help. I was so relieved she was coming. Once she got there, she stepped off the plane and felt feverish. She said to Isaac, "I don't feel well. I may need to go to the hospital." (say whaaaaaa?) Isaac's dad had booked a hotel room for him and the boys so they wouldn't have to drive back and forth from Warrensburg to see me. My mom hunkered down in the hotel room and slept off her illness. She felt much better her third day here.
Sunday morning, they said I would be having surgery at 9:00 am. I cried to the doctor that informed me. I was just feeling so overwhelmed. He was nice and empathetic. 9:00 am came and went. I waited all day until 5:00 pm. My surgeon Dr. Robertson came in and said that I'd be having my surgery Monday morning (say whaaaaaa?). There was an unexpected trauma incident that took 5 or 6 hours to treat and since it was the weekend and they were short staffed, they never got around to me. I'm actually grateful it turned out that way because my body needed a full day of rest before another operation.
Monday morning, before they came and got me, my nurse mentioned that they would fill my body with gas and that I'll have some pretty bad pain after the surgery (say whaaaaaa?). That was the first time I had ever heard of such a thing. Well, let me tell you. It was awful. Every time I got up to use the bathroom to pee, I would cry once I laid back down because it hurt so badly. They gave me fentanyl and hydrocodone. They said the gas would eventually dissipate from my body. Eventually it did. I had a heating pad on my belly to help with the pain too.
Here's me and my mom. This was taken after my gallbladder surgery when I was bloated with gas. My mom was still feeling ill. We giggled when Isaac covered her up with the blanket and helped her recline her seat because he was having to take care of TWO people.
My arm swelled up after having the IV in it for 4 days. That was the most painful of all because it took so much longer to heal (almost a week) and was immobile.
Home sweet home! We drove home Tuesday morning. I got car sick two miles from home (say whaaaa?) and felt some relief from all the nausea I had. We had meals brought in from our church friends and neighbors for the first six nights!! So generous! Our friends the Huffs and the Hartzogs were so awesome about having the boys with them during my stay downtown too.
My mom got the boys some Lego sets. That kept them occupied for a day!
Isaac was teaching half the day in July for the summer Masters program. I was able to attend the final concert a week after my surgery and hear their projects they'd worked on all month.
I love these peeps!
These two took such good care of me. My mom washed my hair and braided it since I couldn't with one arm. She kept the kitchen clean, folded our laundry, watched Stephen Colbert with me every night, fixed me breakfast and lunch, took the boys to swimming lessons, baked cookies, treated the boys to early birthday presents, etc. Her mom, my grandmother, died when she was 21. I don't know how she got by without a mom or in-law to help her! I'm so grateful I have such a caring mom.
Van caught on quickly and wanted to take a selfie of his neck too! Ha ha!
A few days after I returned home, I had a follow up appointment with the endocrinologist to review my pathology report. She said that because the tumor was positioned on the edge of my thyroid, we would need to follow up with radioactive iodine treatment (say whaaaaaaa?) Basically, I would take a radioactive pill to kill off any remaining cancer cells. Then I would have a scan to see if my body absorbed the radioactive iodine or not and make sure the cancer didn't spread to my lungs. She then told me that my children would not be allowed to stay in the home for 5 days because I would be radioactive. I told her that because of my job, I would have to do this the week of August 7-12. They managed to get everything ready in time. Even the sweet nurse came in on a Saturday to ensure the insurance had approved the thyrogen injections.
So, here I am on day 5 of my isolation. The first day was awful. I threw up four hours later after I took the pill. My face turned purple and swelled up from the radiation shooting out of me. Since then I've been feeling fine, hanging out in my room watching movies, reading, writing, and drinking water. I've drunk a gallon every day. I told my friends and Isaac's mom that I'm sad my lazy days are coming to an end. It's been nice to just chill and not have to worry about anything!!
This was before my RAI treatment. As you can see the recliner is by our bed. I bought some dresses like the one I'm wearing because I couldn't button up my shorts. I also treated myself to that nightgown with the cherries on it. The white bowl is my barf bowl (TMI). I keep my hormone pills by my bed and pop one every morning when my alarm goes off at 6:30 am. Easy peasy!
We went to the UCM president's concert on the lawn. They served ice cream and the Community band played some songs. Our kids opted to read through the whole thing. Ha!
Van drew this Venom with kids Arthub on youtube
Rain Regatta race! William got first place!
Van got last place and was fighting back the tears. Our cub master gave him the best sportsmanship award.
We went to the Federal Reserves museum. Here's Van trying to lift the gold bar.
We celebrated our 16th anniversary on August 2nd! I was on the low iodine diet and could only eat at Chipotle. So we walked around downtown and ate there. I can't believe what a perfect companion Isaac is for me. Sure he gets on my nerves sometimes and I get on his nerves, but overall we feel so blessed to have such a good friendship and strong marriage. He's been such a rock through all this. I know it hasn't been easy for him, but I'm glad he's held it together. I'm always reminding myself that no thyroid is waaaaaay better than no pancreas. Few people know what Type 1 diabetics have to go through. I'm grateful my issues are pretty inconsequential.
My friends Trish, Natalie, and Lana sent me a care package to help me get through my week of isolation. Treats, journal, notes, hand cream, iTunes gift card, and decorations to spruce up my room!
This was my face after I threw up. Eeek!
Swelling didn't last long!
Scar is looking pretty good!
Tomorrow morning, I go in for my follow up scan! Pray that it will go well!
Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers and kind gestures!! It's been a cruel, but also blessed summer.
Overheard at our house:
- Isaac has brought the boys back home a few times to get some things the past 5 days. Van stands in my bedroom doorway and blows me a kiss. When he catches my kiss he swallows it.
- One day Van randomly said to Isaac, "I feel like sometimes you and Mom kidnapped me."
Comments