Bickmore Buzz Jan. 21, 2019

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

Isaac and the boys had the day off, but not me! Van and Will have been wanting to meet my students so they came in for two hours today and hung out with the class. Van read them a story while they ate their lunch. They did the paint project, ate snack, participated in music and dance, and helped the kids put their shoes back on. They both looked enormous compared to the tiny preschoolers. Isaac did the music lesson for me. They loved it. So ya! It was nice sharing part of the school day with my family.

Last week seemed like the longest week ever! It was Isaac's first week back to work. With the cold weather and different schedule, we had to be more on top of it with transportation. We've been able to make do with one car so on days when Isaac teaches at 8:00 am and it's too icy and cold for him to ride his bike, everyone has to be ready to leave by 7:30. Who would've thought leaving 15 minutes earlier would be so difficult? Last semester, he rode his bike and didn't have any 8:00 am classes so we're adjusting to this new schedule.

William came down with pink eye. With the district's policy of prescribed medications, it was easiest for Isaac to walk to his school and give him the eye drops in the middle of the day. I love that Isaac is within walking distance to Will's school.

Van is learning how to stick up for himself and keep the peace. A boy on his bus kicked him in the penis and punched him in the stomach when they were waiting to get on the bus. Van said to the boy, "Hey! Don't do that!" The boy responded, "I don't really give a crap." Van told us what happened, so I contacted his teacher and she figured out who it was and informed the principal. The principal dealt with it. A few days later, Van came home and told me that the same boy was assigned by the bus driver to sit beside him on the bus.  Van felt like he couldn't ask to move spots because it's supposed to be his "permanent spot". I talked with Van about how he could let the bus driver know what happened and that he's not comfortable sitting beside the boy. Van waved off the idea and said, "I'm just going to sit by him and if something happens AGAIN, then he'll get moved." I asked, "So, you want to give him another chance?" Van said, "Yes, because that's what Jesus would do." I was proud of Van for being willing to give this boy another try. Of course the sceptic in me was thinking, "Let's see if this boy behaves!" I'm hoping that since he was punished for hitting Van the first time, it won't happen again.

We were hoping the KC Chiefs were going to make it to the Superbowl. Maybe next year! The game last night was super exciting and so disappointing. We watched it with the Sentgeorge family. Van kept getting after me for yelling so loud when the Chiefs would score. I told my friend that I feel like I'm with my kids at the beach. I grew up going to the beach all the time and watching NFL. When I take my boys to the beach, they complain the whole time about the sand and the cold water and they're just miserable. So, when I was watching the game and they had zero interest and complained about our squeals of delight, it felt like we were at the beach. Although, we went to the UCM Mules basketball game on Saturday and Van was all jazzed up about it. He said, "Mom! Every time we watch the games, the Mules win! Even if they're losing, it's like they get their true Mule spirit out and win!" Unfortunately, the Mules lost their game.

It's been over a year now since I've been trying a plant based diet. I've slipped up a few times and have had meat on occasion. I've worked on being more flexible with that so I'm not stressed about eating at someone's house for dinner. Overall, this is the healthiest I've eaten in my life. Before I started this diet I never ate quinoa, lentils, avocados, sweet potatoes, cashews, nutritional yeast, dates, chia seeds, hemp hearts, flax seeds, plant based butter, chickpeas, hummus and tempeh. Now I eat these things on a regular basis and I love it! We found some plant based meat that is the best of all the brands. It's the Field Roast brand. I buy their sausage, hot dogs, and burgers. More and more I'm reading about how we need to have a transformation in our diets to sustain our planet. I would encourage all our readers to eat more veggies! They're grrrrreat!


We love you! Have a good week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!