It's Great to be 8!

I often find selfies of Van on my phone. He loves making faces and videos. I found these on my laptop that he took with Photo Booth:





I can't believe this boy is 8! It seems like yesterday when we first met him.  Soooo much chubbiness.

Here's some when we lived in Utah:





And Arizona. As Van called it, "Ozone-uh"









For Van's birthday this year, we had a Beyblade party. Our friends the Huff's came over and we had a Bey blade battle. It was so much fun! The greatest thing is that Van won the battle!! We ate pizza and I made a rich vanilla cake decorated like a beyblade. He also requested breakfast in bed. He told me "The reason I wanted breakfast in bed is because what if I grow up and I don't get to be a dad? Then I'll never get breakfast in bed."


He said at least five times on his birthday, "I'm a lucky boy!"

Van's beyblade cake. 

Van loves this robe that Nellie gave him. He keeps reminding me that we need to have a robe party and drink hot chocolate. 


Each of us made a paper plate bey blade for Van. William made two. The boys love staying up late the night before each other's birthdays and setting things up. 



"Prepare your launchers if you have not already. Ready, set, 3-2-1. LET IT RRRRIP!"

We love Van so much! I love his zest for life. I can count on him when I need someone to get excited with me about something... like a bike ride or baking a treat. He laughs up a storm and really tries hard to be a helpful son. At least once a day he'll say, "Mom! I love you!" or  "Dad! I love you!" 


On Tuesday, he kicked his wooden board and broke it in half at his martial arts class. He was so excited and I loved relishing in the moment with him. 
He drew a ninja on his wooden board

Van's teacher has been teaching the students about growth mindset and using perseverance. On Friday, during our bike ride, I heard Van telling himself, "Never give up, never give up, never give up" as he climbed the hill. Go Van! It reminded me of when he persisted this summer to jump on the zip line seat all by himself at the Lode Stone Park.



Our home teacher gave Van a bag of candy with a note that said, "You can eat these when you read and discuss Your Baptismal Covenant in the book True to the Faith." So we read the section and then Van said, "Ok Mom, now let's discuss it." So we did. Van is looking forward to his baptism. We've been talking about what he's promising (to follow Jesus Christ) and the blessings he'll receive (the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost). He also started cub scouts on Wednesday and was really excited about it. Isaac and I were excited too--a free hour a week!


Happy Birthday Van! We're looking forward to your baptism next month!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!