Bickmore Buzz February 4, 2018

Hi family,

It snowed today. We came home from church and I quickly changed into Isaac's Chewbacca suit. I took a fat nap, always awesome. Today was the eighth anniversary of my dad, Grandpa Garrett's, death. Time definitely heals the pain of grief. I'm grateful for his legacy and that he is in a better place.

It seems I've reached this weird phase in my life. I find myself asking, "Now what?" I like subbing and the flexibility it offers. I also like the idea of going back to full time teaching and living on a double salary income. I did submit an application to the Warrensburg school district. I figure it doesn't hurt to apply. Come March, there will be posted openings and if I do get asked to interview and then was offered a job, I can make a decision. I have learned a few things about myself this past year in regards to working: I can't work from home. It doesn't do my mental health any good. I need to be out of my house interacting with people. I like working outside the home and earning money. I like working in the schools and helping children. I would not enjoy an office job sitting at a desk. Isaac is very supportive. We've discussed that I could just keep subbing next year and enroll in a course at UCM to keep my mind stimulated because subbing is not very stimulating. I love learning and enjoy the mental challenge that teaching offers. I think if I were to go back to full time teaching, it would have to be upper elementary like 4th or 5th grade. I emailed an old coworker who taught 1st and 2nd grades for 17 years. She is in her second year of teaching 5th grade and she said she will never go back to teaching the younger grades. She has noticed such a difference in her energy level teaching the older kids. She's not exhausted at the end of the day like she was those 17 years. Plus, the curriculum is more stimulating. SO, I'm going to spend some time really praying and asking Heavenly Father to help me know what would be best for our family--sticking with subbing or going back to full time teaching. I know for a fact, taking this year off and working 20-30 hours a week versus 40-45 a week has been such a blessing. Isaac's been able to get established in his profession. I remember my principal telling me last spring when I expressed that I didn't know if I should apply for a full time job or not in Warrensburg, "Lesley, your family is going to need you in this move. Now is not the time to be seeking a teaching position." She was right on. It would have been too much for our little family to have both parents starting new very busy jobs in a new state.

Isaac and I went on a date last night. We went to Spin Pizza and saw "Jumanji." It was hilarious. Isaac is very glad we don't have a dog. He is really enjoying teaching Intro to Music Ed.

Van threw up at school on his 100th day, Tuesday. I was subbing, but Isaac was done teaching for the day so he picked up Van and spent the day taking care of him. I spent Wednesday with him. Wednesday morning, William was dry heaving and complaining he felt like throwing up so I kept him home too. We all watched "The Nut Job" on Netflix and then they played Legend of Zelda while I read and took a snooze on the couch.

We hope everyone is doing well! Feel free to send us an email once in a while to give us an update on your lives.

Overheard at our house:

  • I told the boys before Christmas that they wouldn't get to play on the iPad for the whole month of January since they would be getting new Wii U games for Christmas. This week, when I mentioned to the boys that they haven't even complained about not playing the iPad, Will said, "I've decided I'm not going to play on the iPad for the rest of the year because Terraria is too violent." I was surprised and glad that he figured that out himself. We'll see if he keeps to his goal. He LOVES playing the Legend of Zelda on the Wii U. 
  • Several weeks ago, Van showed his teacher the sign language sign for "I love you". She told him, "I love you too, Van." He has told me this story a few times since. Tonight, he mentioned it again and said, "I couldn't believe she loves me! I mean, I know she loves me, but when she said it, I just couldn't believe it!" 
  • Whenever I get a sub job, the boys immediately ask, "For which class? Mine?!" When they find out it's not for their class they sigh and say, "Awww!" 
Van dressed up like a 100 year old man for his 100th day. Too bad he threw up on his outfit just hours after this picture. 

"Take a picture of me acting like an old man." He said one of the teachers asked, "Are you lost? This is a school, not a nursing home." Ha ha!

Van's job was to tidy up the living room. He was very proud of this arrangement on the couch and asked me to take a picture.

Saturday selfie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!