Bickmore Buzz Dec. 3, 2017
Hi family!
It's been a terrific two weeks! Steve and Dana came for Thanksgiving. Dana arrived on her birthday so we treated her to dinner and made a happy birthday message with sidewalk chalk. Steve arrived later that night. He came from his conference in St. Louis and traveled on the Amtrak to come to our house. Wednesday, we went to see Wonder. I highly recommend it! I really wanted to make everything from scratch for dinner. I baked our pies, made cranberry sauce, and did some other dinner prep while Isaac took the others on a UCM tour. On Thursday, Isaac cooked the turkey and I made the stuffing and yams. Van had a fever Wednesday night and on Thanksgiving he said it felt weird when he swallowed. His throat was covered in white spots so I took him to the doctor. Of course, no urgent care was open so Dana and I took him to the ER. He was such a champ! His strep test came back negative, but the dr noticed he had a potential ear infection so she prescribed some antibiotics. Then we came back and finished up dinner and ate. It was delicious! After dinner, the weather was incredible so we played basketball and four square outside. Friday, we couldn't do much since Van was sick. The boys played a ton of video games. We managed to make them pause for a card game/board game. It was fun to just be together and hang out.
This week was Isaac's last week of classes. His holiday concert was Monday and Tuesday night. His collegiate women's choir sang "White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes and "Christmas Time is Here". They did a modified version of the Pentatonix hand clapping on White Winter hymnal. I'm so glad I get to go to concerts again and watch Isaac direct.
Thursday, William was really feeling homesick for Utah. He was sad that there is nothing to do here. I asked him what he enjoys doing when we go to Utah. He mentioned the zoo so I googled to see if there was a zoo in Kansas City and sure enough there is! Yesterday, we went and it was so much fun. It's my favorite zoo of the three that I've seen. The temperature was in the high 60s. We were there for 7 hours. Our favorite part was seeing the chimps, gorillas, and orangutans because there were babies. The best was when the chimp and orangutan babies clapped. Their mannerisms and movements were so similar to human babies. We also had a pass to ride the train, the carousel and the tram. Van was hilarious. He is so slow. We like bringing our stroller to haul all of our stuff, but it's also nice to transport Van when he is lagging behind. He is so huge in that stroller and looks so lazy. Isaac called him Lord Couch Potato. But it sure did make for a more pleasant trip. Ha ha! We also saw a Cheetah enrichment, a sea lion show, and Santa scuba diving in the penguin tank. The boys had a great time!
Our family has an elf on the shelf! His name is Oliver Hoptippity. We like seeing where he's hiding every morning.
Overheard at our house:
It's been a terrific two weeks! Steve and Dana came for Thanksgiving. Dana arrived on her birthday so we treated her to dinner and made a happy birthday message with sidewalk chalk. Steve arrived later that night. He came from his conference in St. Louis and traveled on the Amtrak to come to our house. Wednesday, we went to see Wonder. I highly recommend it! I really wanted to make everything from scratch for dinner. I baked our pies, made cranberry sauce, and did some other dinner prep while Isaac took the others on a UCM tour. On Thursday, Isaac cooked the turkey and I made the stuffing and yams. Van had a fever Wednesday night and on Thanksgiving he said it felt weird when he swallowed. His throat was covered in white spots so I took him to the doctor. Of course, no urgent care was open so Dana and I took him to the ER. He was such a champ! His strep test came back negative, but the dr noticed he had a potential ear infection so she prescribed some antibiotics. Then we came back and finished up dinner and ate. It was delicious! After dinner, the weather was incredible so we played basketball and four square outside. Friday, we couldn't do much since Van was sick. The boys played a ton of video games. We managed to make them pause for a card game/board game. It was fun to just be together and hang out.
This week was Isaac's last week of classes. His holiday concert was Monday and Tuesday night. His collegiate women's choir sang "White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes and "Christmas Time is Here". They did a modified version of the Pentatonix hand clapping on White Winter hymnal. I'm so glad I get to go to concerts again and watch Isaac direct.
Thursday, William was really feeling homesick for Utah. He was sad that there is nothing to do here. I asked him what he enjoys doing when we go to Utah. He mentioned the zoo so I googled to see if there was a zoo in Kansas City and sure enough there is! Yesterday, we went and it was so much fun. It's my favorite zoo of the three that I've seen. The temperature was in the high 60s. We were there for 7 hours. Our favorite part was seeing the chimps, gorillas, and orangutans because there were babies. The best was when the chimp and orangutan babies clapped. Their mannerisms and movements were so similar to human babies. We also had a pass to ride the train, the carousel and the tram. Van was hilarious. He is so slow. We like bringing our stroller to haul all of our stuff, but it's also nice to transport Van when he is lagging behind. He is so huge in that stroller and looks so lazy. Isaac called him Lord Couch Potato. But it sure did make for a more pleasant trip. Ha ha! We also saw a Cheetah enrichment, a sea lion show, and Santa scuba diving in the penguin tank. The boys had a great time!
Our family has an elf on the shelf! His name is Oliver Hoptippity. We like seeing where he's hiding every morning.
Overheard at our house:
- When we opened the elf on the shelf package, William hurried and said, "Don't touch him! He's a real person!" I almost laughed in his face and made some snide remark, but realized he really believed that and that's the point of Elf on the Shelf. Duh, Lesley!
- Whenever I get after Will for not helping around the house, Van loves to point out, "Mom, I'm helping you!" or if I proclaim my like for something and Will disapproves, Van immediately pipes up with, "I like it Mom!" He also loves to bring it to my attention if Will is not doing what he's supposed to. He's my police chief and my little goody two shoes.
Comments