Bickmore Buzz Nov. 19, 2017
Hi everyone!
We're looking forward to Grandpa Steve and Grandma Dana's visit this week. This will be the first time Isaac and I eat Thanksgiving dinner in our own home since we've been married. I'm excited to cook some new recipes! I also ordered a tablecloth! Let's hope it arrives on time. Haha!
Isaac submitted his final dissertation!! Which means he gets to graduate in December! Woo hoo!
Will and Van are so great. Will had so much energy this weekend. He couldn't stop jumping off the couches, acting like a werewolf, talking in accents...it wore me out. This week he wanted to wear the same pair of pants three days in a row and we finally put our foot down and said, "No way, you've already worn those the past two days." He loves grape tomatoes. He eats them like candy. He also loves Chex Mix and gets an individual bag in his lunch everyday. He is constantly talking about Terraria and is still working on getting the Terra blade. Today in church we were playing hangman and his secret word was Terra Blade.
Van threw up on Monday night. He only threw up once, but he's been under the weather all week. Tuesday night he had a fever and the rest of the week he was lethargic and came down with a cold. Whenever he's sick he gets extra sensitive about noise and asks for peace and quiet. With Isaac singing a melody and William yelling in some crazy accent, I don't blame him! Ha ha! He told me the other day, "Mom, I want to start saying my prayers by myself." I asked, "You mean your own prayer without the family?" He nodded, then asked, "Will you remind me?" I suggested we could write the word PRAY on a sticky note and post it on the wall next to his bed. He liked that idea. The next morning I saw him close his bedroom door. When he came out, I asked him if he said a prayer. He said he did. Later on that day, he was feeling frustrated in the car and started crying. Then he yelled, "I prayed to have a good day and now I'm having a bad day!" I explained to him that all good days have bad moments, but it doesn't mean his whole day was bad. He can be so emotional at times. I talked to him earlier in the week to try and communicate his feelings with words instead of tears and how to do that. When I see the tears building up and I see his big frown, I'll remind him, "Use your words." Then he'll take a deep breath and say, "I'm so frustrated because.." On Friday, he told me and Isaac, "I don't want to play video games anymore. They make me stressed out. I want to take a break." We talked about how long and he decided until Christmas. William was strongly opposed to this. The next day, he played with William and said, "Maybe I could play them, but just not as long, like 15 minutes or something." I said, "Whatever you feel like will help you be happy."
I had only two sub jobs this week. Friday, I subbed PE and got to teach Van's class. Van was sooo good for me. Phew! It's hard transitioning from full time teaching to subbing, but I'm working on being patient with the change and figuring out how to improve myself. One thing in particular is the way I talk to my kids. I hear William talking to Van sometimes and I shudder that the reason he is talking to his brother that way is because he learned it from me. SO, I'm going to work on my facial expressions and choosing my words wisely. For instance, tonight I said, " Please get your crap off the table so we can eat." Then I remembered my goal and announced, "Wait. Sorry. Mom is trying to speak more kindly so I'm going to try that again. William and Van, will you please find what belongs to you and move it off the table so we can eat our dinner?"
Overheard at our house:
We're looking forward to Grandpa Steve and Grandma Dana's visit this week. This will be the first time Isaac and I eat Thanksgiving dinner in our own home since we've been married. I'm excited to cook some new recipes! I also ordered a tablecloth! Let's hope it arrives on time. Haha!
Isaac submitted his final dissertation!! Which means he gets to graduate in December! Woo hoo!
Will and Van are so great. Will had so much energy this weekend. He couldn't stop jumping off the couches, acting like a werewolf, talking in accents...it wore me out. This week he wanted to wear the same pair of pants three days in a row and we finally put our foot down and said, "No way, you've already worn those the past two days." He loves grape tomatoes. He eats them like candy. He also loves Chex Mix and gets an individual bag in his lunch everyday. He is constantly talking about Terraria and is still working on getting the Terra blade. Today in church we were playing hangman and his secret word was Terra Blade.
Van threw up on Monday night. He only threw up once, but he's been under the weather all week. Tuesday night he had a fever and the rest of the week he was lethargic and came down with a cold. Whenever he's sick he gets extra sensitive about noise and asks for peace and quiet. With Isaac singing a melody and William yelling in some crazy accent, I don't blame him! Ha ha! He told me the other day, "Mom, I want to start saying my prayers by myself." I asked, "You mean your own prayer without the family?" He nodded, then asked, "Will you remind me?" I suggested we could write the word PRAY on a sticky note and post it on the wall next to his bed. He liked that idea. The next morning I saw him close his bedroom door. When he came out, I asked him if he said a prayer. He said he did. Later on that day, he was feeling frustrated in the car and started crying. Then he yelled, "I prayed to have a good day and now I'm having a bad day!" I explained to him that all good days have bad moments, but it doesn't mean his whole day was bad. He can be so emotional at times. I talked to him earlier in the week to try and communicate his feelings with words instead of tears and how to do that. When I see the tears building up and I see his big frown, I'll remind him, "Use your words." Then he'll take a deep breath and say, "I'm so frustrated because.." On Friday, he told me and Isaac, "I don't want to play video games anymore. They make me stressed out. I want to take a break." We talked about how long and he decided until Christmas. William was strongly opposed to this. The next day, he played with William and said, "Maybe I could play them, but just not as long, like 15 minutes or something." I said, "Whatever you feel like will help you be happy."
I had only two sub jobs this week. Friday, I subbed PE and got to teach Van's class. Van was sooo good for me. Phew! It's hard transitioning from full time teaching to subbing, but I'm working on being patient with the change and figuring out how to improve myself. One thing in particular is the way I talk to my kids. I hear William talking to Van sometimes and I shudder that the reason he is talking to his brother that way is because he learned it from me. SO, I'm going to work on my facial expressions and choosing my words wisely. For instance, tonight I said, " Please get your crap off the table so we can eat." Then I remembered my goal and announced, "Wait. Sorry. Mom is trying to speak more kindly so I'm going to try that again. William and Van, will you please find what belongs to you and move it off the table so we can eat our dinner?"
Overheard at our house:
- Van loves jokes. He told the home teachers, "What do you call a one eyed deer?" "No Idear!"
- Van came home from school and said, "Guess what? It's the sixty twoth day of school!"
- William was watching himself in the mirror while he was cleaning the bathroom and shouting in his accent, "Some kids like Annabelle. Some kids like Chucky. I hate Annabelle, I hate Chucky. You know what I like? TERRARIA!" He was spouting off all kinds of crazy things. Isaac and I were cracking up. At one point I heard him say, "You wanna kiss my butt?"
Comments