Bickmore Buzz Nov. 12, 2017

Hello!
We are still cold here, but adjusting slowly. There was one day this week where I didn't have to wear my jacket and the skies were sunny and blue. It felt magical. Arizona always had clear blue sunny skies and I miss that.

Isaac is submitting his revised dissertation this Wednesday to ASU. He is looking forward to his graduation in December and starting a new semester. Instead of the collegiate choir, he'll be leading the new technology ensemble. He can't believe how fast the semester has flown by! He just got some new glasses on Friday. We went on a date last night and saw the new Thor movie.

I'm enjoying my substitute teaching. On Thursday, I subbed 5th grade. I LOVE subbing the older kids. They are so independent and it was a very respectful class. Plus I was able to sit in on an author visit and watch a handball tournament. :) I also got to see William twice and we excitedly waved to each other. On Monday, I subbed for first grade. There was a student teacher who was teaching, so all I had to do was pull small groups in the hall and work on reading and math. Wednesday night was our Young Women in Excellence Night. I am amazed at what the young women in our ward do!! I feel the spirit so strongly when I'm around them. I love the leaders that I get to serve with. After the program, the scouts came in and started helping themselves to our refreshments--yes they did have the decency to let the girls eat before they came in and raided the table. Our YW president quickly spoke up and said, "If you want to eat our treats, you have to help clean up. You can't think that girls are put on earth to feed you." I was like, "Ya! You tell em!"

On Friday, I was able to help with the Veteran's Day assembly at Maple Grove. Since we have a large population of military families, the schools in our district honor the Veterans with an assembly. It was emotional. During one part of the assembly, the kids' parents who are currently deployed in another state/country sent a video clip to say hi to their kids. 😥The kids learned several patriotic songs and put on a fantastic performance. I was so impressed with the music teacher!! And the kids of course!
I was proud to see Grandpa Orme's photo and my dad's photo on the Veteran's Wall. Afterward, I helped pass out cookies from the PTO to the Veterans. In the afternoon, I went to Will's school for their assembly. William was excited to see his Grandfathers in the slideshow. I enjoyed hearing each grade level perform a song. Third grade did My Country Tis of Thee. Will sang with his chin up and looked so confident. At the end, the P.E. coach, who was leading the assembly told the audience, "This last bit is going to be emotional for me. My dad recently passed away and he was in the Navy. So at this time, I'd like to offer a moment of silence for him and the other Veterans who have passed on. We'll also have the Taps play." I felt like this was definitely a tender mercy for me. You see, I was really missing and wishing that I could be in Utah on Friday for Grandpa Bill's funeral. So, when the taps began to play and the audience stood there in silence, it was my way of paying my respects to Grandpa Bill and honoring him for his love of faith, family, and country. I knew he was having a military funeral so standing there listening to the taps felt akin to being at his graveside service. By the end, it seemed like there wasn't a dry eye in the gym. Even the students had tears running down their cheeks.

Overheard at our house:

  • Tonight Isaac was playing the magic game with the boys where you make the quarter disappear. They were dying to know the secret to his trick. He finally told them, but when they tried to do it, they failed miserably every time. Ha ha!
  • William finally had the solar eclipse in his game Terraria and everyone was freaking out, "It's the solar eclipse! It's the solar eclipse!" It's a multiplayer game so Isaac, Van and Will were all playing at the same time on separate devices. 
  • Today was our primary presentation at church. Both of the boys stated their parts clearly and I was so proud of them. After Van said his part, he turned halfway, glanced back at me and flashed a smile. It was hilarious. Another interesting thing about his assigned part is that he said, "During the sacrament, I can think about Jesus's body when I eat the bread and his blood when I drink the water." However, just 30 minutes before, during the sacrament, he was drawing pictures of a "tooth monster".
  • Great Grandpa Gordon Orme

    Grandpa Bill Garrett

    Veterans Wall at Maple Grove

    Watching Field of Dreams with our glasses! Old and nerdy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!