Bickmore Buzz Oct. 9th, 2017
Hi Family!
Isaac flies to Phoenix tomorrow to defend his dissertation on Wednesday! He is very nervous and overwhelmed. We know he is going to do amazing though and I'm excited for him to share his thoughts and views on what he's been working very hard on. His choir is performing this Sunday at the fall music concert. Keep him in your prayers!
I had an awesome 36th birthday!! My friend from our ward, Jen, took me to her Zumba class. The teacher said I was amazing so that made my birthday! Isaac fixed dinner--homemade falafel and dairy free carrot cake. It was a lovely day!
We went to two parties this weekend. Saturday night we went to the Sentgeorge's house. Jake has been at UCM for 10 years and Aerin teaches art at the middle school. They have two kids, Edith and Maxwell. Edith is Will's age and Maxwell is two years younger than Van. The boys had a lot of fun playing with them. Isaac and I had a great time getting to know Jake and Aerin. Jake cooked dinner and it was delicious! It reminded me of something Lisa, Isaac's mom, would make-- so much flavor and so healthy. Last night we went to the Honour's house in Lee's Summit for a Brew Ha ha. It was my first brew ha ha. Every year they brew beer and invite their neighbors and colleagues over. I happily drank my water and lemonade. :) They have this amazing swing tied to their tree in the backyard. I asked Isaac to give me a push on it. It makes you giggle, it's so fun. Hee hee.
Today I volunteered at Will's school. Okay, I have ALWAYS said that just because I am a teacher I am NOT THAT PARENT who gripes about her child's education and complains to the teacher and/or principal about ineffective teaching. I will be the SUPPORTIVE one. BUT man oh man that may come to an end. I left the school very upset and before I even started the car, I called Isaac to vent. As usual, we talked about a revolution and how we're going to make changes. hahaha Then I still wanted to vent so I called my crisis intervention team, Lana and Trish. They both had great advice. Lana advised me to empathize with William and then ask him how we could solve the problem and suggested praying about it. So that's what I did. When Will came home, we discussed what I observed and I empathized with him. Then when I asked what we should do he said, "I don't know." So I suggested we could write a letter or just sit on it for a few days and pray about what to do. Tonight I told him how hard of a job teaching is and that you have to keep a positive frame of mind or you'll go insane. So, I told him how once I hung up a list of affirmations and suggested we could do that too so that his mind thinks positively. First quarter down. Three to go. I hope they FLY BY.
Overheard at our house:
Van, about the fruit flies, "Where do those flies spawn?"
William's comment about his school day: "The teachers expect us to be perfect! Well guess what? We're not! Then we have to sit on our butts and do our ADDITION packet. I'm in THIRD GRADE. I want to learn DIVISION!!"
Tonight William explained to me that he wants to make a realistic Minecraft game, "So in my game, instead of getting a sword from the crafting table, you'd have to find ore, melt it, then put it in these molds and cool it. Then you get a wood block for the handle and wrap string or webs around it so it's soft when you hold it."
Isaac flies to Phoenix tomorrow to defend his dissertation on Wednesday! He is very nervous and overwhelmed. We know he is going to do amazing though and I'm excited for him to share his thoughts and views on what he's been working very hard on. His choir is performing this Sunday at the fall music concert. Keep him in your prayers!
I had an awesome 36th birthday!! My friend from our ward, Jen, took me to her Zumba class. The teacher said I was amazing so that made my birthday! Isaac fixed dinner--homemade falafel and dairy free carrot cake. It was a lovely day!
We went to two parties this weekend. Saturday night we went to the Sentgeorge's house. Jake has been at UCM for 10 years and Aerin teaches art at the middle school. They have two kids, Edith and Maxwell. Edith is Will's age and Maxwell is two years younger than Van. The boys had a lot of fun playing with them. Isaac and I had a great time getting to know Jake and Aerin. Jake cooked dinner and it was delicious! It reminded me of something Lisa, Isaac's mom, would make-- so much flavor and so healthy. Last night we went to the Honour's house in Lee's Summit for a Brew Ha ha. It was my first brew ha ha. Every year they brew beer and invite their neighbors and colleagues over. I happily drank my water and lemonade. :) They have this amazing swing tied to their tree in the backyard. I asked Isaac to give me a push on it. It makes you giggle, it's so fun. Hee hee.
Today I volunteered at Will's school. Okay, I have ALWAYS said that just because I am a teacher I am NOT THAT PARENT who gripes about her child's education and complains to the teacher and/or principal about ineffective teaching. I will be the SUPPORTIVE one. BUT man oh man that may come to an end. I left the school very upset and before I even started the car, I called Isaac to vent. As usual, we talked about a revolution and how we're going to make changes. hahaha Then I still wanted to vent so I called my crisis intervention team, Lana and Trish. They both had great advice. Lana advised me to empathize with William and then ask him how we could solve the problem and suggested praying about it. So that's what I did. When Will came home, we discussed what I observed and I empathized with him. Then when I asked what we should do he said, "I don't know." So I suggested we could write a letter or just sit on it for a few days and pray about what to do. Tonight I told him how hard of a job teaching is and that you have to keep a positive frame of mind or you'll go insane. So, I told him how once I hung up a list of affirmations and suggested we could do that too so that his mind thinks positively. First quarter down. Three to go. I hope they FLY BY.
Overheard at our house:
Van, about the fruit flies, "Where do those flies spawn?"
William's comment about his school day: "The teachers expect us to be perfect! Well guess what? We're not! Then we have to sit on our butts and do our ADDITION packet. I'm in THIRD GRADE. I want to learn DIVISION!!"
Tonight William explained to me that he wants to make a realistic Minecraft game, "So in my game, instead of getting a sword from the crafting table, you'd have to find ore, melt it, then put it in these molds and cool it. Then you get a wood block for the handle and wrap string or webs around it so it's soft when you hold it."
Comments