Bickmore Buzz Oct. 22, 2017

Wow! A lot has happened over the past few weeks!

Isaac:
Isaac passed his dissertation defense with major revisions. He's Dr. Bickmore now! Woo hoo! He needs to submit his revisions by Nov. 15th in order to graduate this December. His choir performed last Sunday. They did amazing! They sang, "Hey Jude",  "Big Yellow Taxi" and a four chord mash-up that the choir arranged. It was awesome to see Isaac directing a choir again. It brought me back to the days when we'd go and watch his concerts at Nibley Park. Once I upload the videos to YouTube, I'll send out the link.

Lesley:
I've had a good time volunteering at the schools. I got to work a few Book Fair shifts at both schools and at Van's school I organized the dinner for the teachers during PT conferences. It reminded me of the Down 'N Out Diner days. We served soup, salad, rolls, and dessert. The teachers really liked it! I was sustained last Sunday as Young Women secretary. I'm really excited to be in young women again. Our group of girls are so cute and the other leaders are a lot of fun. I chaperoned the stake youth dance last night. It was such a riot watching the kids dance. I loved the youth dances when I was that age. I didn't dance with the kids last night because I didn't want to look like a complete weirdo right off the bat. Haha. So I just sat and observed....until the very last song, and then I danced with them. On Wednesday the girls planned a fall festival for the joint young men and young women activity. It was very well organized and the activities were so much fun--pumpkin carving, pumpkin golf, caramel apples, bobbing for apples, mummy wrapping--we had a great time and again, I'm really excited about my new calling.

William:
William had a superb parent teacher conference. So many things about this school district remind me of 1995. I need to write a letter to the head of curriculum and make some suggestions. :) Anyway, Will is doing extremely well in his academics and classroom behavior. I told the teacher that he is still unhappy when he comes home from school and gets frustrated that some kids in his class can't keep the rules. He feels like he misses out because of the few who ruin it for the entire class. She agreed and said she wants to start letting the kids who are trying hard and making good choices be the first to line up and go ahead to specials, recess, etc. I keep reminding Will that some years are harder than others and it usually takes a good six months to settle in to a new place and feel happy. When I eat lunch with him, his friends are always excited to sit with us and he plays with other kids at recess so I'm glad he's not a loner. He is also on the swim team now and unfortunately, is not enjoying it. Sigh. We noticed that when something is challenging for Will, he wants to give up. In swimming, he doesn't feel like he's fast enough like the other kids. We told him it takes a lot longer than one week to build up muscles and get strong, but to keep at it. I'm just going to do my best to model a positive attitude and really focus on the positive. I watched these great parenting videos on youtube by Kerry Stutzman. I implemented some of her techniques and noticed a difference right away. We'll see how second quarter goes!

Van:
Van also had a fantastic conference. His teacher Mrs. Holmes is amazing. She reminds me so much of my mentor teacher at Sunrise--organized, mellow, positive, and all around incredible teacher. He gave her a hug on our way out and she said, "See you on Monday sugar bean!" I love small towns for little things like "sugar bean". Last weekend was the UCM Homecoming parade. Van collected a ton of candy by jumping up and down and shouting, "Me! Me! Me!" Ha ha! Today after church he handed me a note that read, "Mey you please spend the day with me?" So we made lunch together and he came visiting teaching with me. Then we watched AFV, ate dinner, and played card games. Thursday night he was having a hard time falling asleep so I invited him to finish Beauty and the Beast with me downstairs. He loved cuddling and has asked three times since then if we can watch a movie together. He's also my helper and loves to help me clean, asking, "What else can I do for you mom?"

Family Fun:
Because of parent teacher conferences, there was no school on Friday. Thursday night, Doug and Linda McClennan stopped by on their way back to Utah and treated us to dinner. I just love their company and was so happy they paid us a visit. Hopefully we can go to music weekend next June at their ranch. On Friday we went to the pumpkin patch at Buckeye Farms and picked out our pumpkins. That night, the boys and I went with my friend and her kids to the pumpkin glow walk at Powell Gardens. It was packed! The kids were so tired by the end, but the weather was perfect and we loved walking outside for two hours. Yesterday we went on a family bike ride and discovered Optimist Park. It's very woodsy with a little creek. We saw the Sentgeorge's there and got to hang out with them for a little bit. I love three day weekends. Back to school tomorrow (not me!)! We're dog sitting Caesar this week--a chihuahua pug mix. The boys are really cute with him.


Isaac's students gave him a Congratulations Cookie!!

William and the Maple Grove Scarecrow

Van loves it when I come eat with him at lunch because we get to eat outside. I love how his school is surrounded by the woods.
Here we are with Doug and Linda

Taking a hay ride with our pumpkins

Van's rock at the creek in Optimist Park.

Van getting buried in the corn pit by our friend Megan.

The boys dressed up for the glow walk

One of the designs on our glow walk

Superheroes!

That way to the exit

Yes, you may!

Making himself eggs for lunch



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!