Bickmore Buzz Sept. 10th, 2017

Hello!

Isaac had a fantastic week at work! On Wednesday, he participated in the "Instrument Petting Zoo" where the music ed students played around and tried various instruments. Isaac set up his Makey Makey and it was a huge success. The students thought it was so cool (because it is!) and Isaac was glad to have something unique to showcase.  He was observed on Friday during choir. The observation went very well. He said the professor observing him had a big smile on his face during the observation. Isaac noticed that having a detailed plan, scheduled down to the minute really helped the class so he's going to continue writing out his plans for choir until he gets comfortable.

William has a rowdy class and he complains about it everyday. The good thing is the teacher rearranged the seats and Will now gets to sit at the same table as his friend Colin. Will has a one track mind--TERRARIA. He was stoked he earned the Night's Edge this week. We finally downloaded the Minecraft game that Aunt Abbey got him a few years ago on our computer. We spent some time yesterday figuring out the keyboard controls for the game.

Van loves school and loves to get things done. When he comes home, we study his spelling words, usually with exercise spelling--spelling the words doing push ups on the wall. He then reads a book, usually Henry and Mudge or Gerald and Piggy to earn "Monkey Minutes" and we record his minutes on his calendar. When we do chores together he loves to ask, "Now what can I do for you?" He is so excited for his 7th birthday next Sunday!

I enjoy walking in the mornings and afternoons to school with Van. I went to the PTO meeting on Thursday night and signed up for the hospitality committee. My neighbor Renee is head of the committee so I'm excited to work with her and get to know her. I served in the library on Wednesday and reshelved books. Our home warranty is replacing our clothes washer and the new washer arrives this Friday. Thank goodness!

The boys had their private swimming lesson on Friday. They are signed up for four lessons and can get up to 8 if they need it. We want to sign up Will for the swim team, so the instructor is teaching him the back stroke, how to turn on the wall and then how to dive.

Overheard at our house:
Van loves to say "That is Uh-larious!" and instead of in a jiffy he says, "in a jippy!"
Both the boys tell me at random times during the day, "Mom, I love you." Melts my heart!

My Deep thoughts and Insights:

I love to read blogs and I'm always thrilled when I stumble upon a blog that is current and regularly updated. I don't comment on the blogs, I just enjoy reading the posts. I was reading a post from one of my former visiting teachers and she mentioned that with parenting she is trying to "RELAX AND ENJOY IT". Those four words have been at the forefront of my mind all week!! It has made such a difference. You could insert anything you want to replace the word "it" in that phrase. Relax and enjoy your career, Relax and enjoy your young children, Relax and enjoy LIFE. I've decided to make it our family motto for the school year. In the beginning, I was stressing about William's  school work because half of the papers he was bringing home were incomplete or labeled, "Show your work" at the top.  I was getting after Will asking him, "Why is this incomplete? You have to show your work." Isaac reminded me to focus on the positive and that in the end it doesn't matter. I was thinking about that a lot and decided to not worry about Will's school work.  I know he is a smart kid and understands the concepts.  If he gets a bad grade in math because he forgot to label some of his answers or show his thinking, oh well. NOT A BIG DEAL. Reading everyday and doing your best is what I'm trying to emphasize for school.
In addition to school stuff, I've been pondering about the things that should matter and what I want to focus on with my kids.

1. I want my children to feel like they can be themselves and that I will love and accept them no matter what.

2. I want my children to be assertive. I want my kids to openly and respectfully express their feelings, if they feel hurt or intimidated. Van is very good about expressing his feelings, but too often he crosses the line and gets aggressive. The other day I noticed another student in the line cut in front of him and he yelled, "Hey! You cutted!" So we talked about a respectful way he could have told the boy. It's a very tricky line when one should be assertive and when one should be aggressive. I'm still learning about how to be assertive! I definitely don't want my kids to grow up thinking that whatever an adult says to do, you do it. That could be dangerous. I want them to question and wonder "Why?" If they feel like I'm being unfair, I want them to ask "Why not?" and then we can openly talk about it.

3. I want my children to be comfortable and confident that they can share WHATEVER with me. I'm trying hard to be approachable when they want to tell me something. Van will sometimes say, "Mom, I'm kind of scared to tell you this...." so I make sure to reassure him with, "Don't worry! You can tell me. I won't be mad." I'm working on being present, not just physically, but actively listening when they get home from school--eating a snack together and talking about the day.

4. It's okay to be disappointed! Yesterday we invited William's friend over to play and go to the chili cook off at church. They had a lot of fun, but at the chili cook off, William was shaking like a leaf and barely eating his food. He didn't look well, so we went home, played a little bit and then I took his friend home early. William was really bummed that the night didn't go as planned. He even said, "I feel like Heavenly Father is mad at me and made me sick on the day I was supposed to play with Colin." I smiled and made it clear that "Heavenly Father is not mad at you or cursing you. He loves you! We have a mortal body and sometimes our bodies get sick. A lot of times, it happens when we don't want it to. You have plenty of weekends left to play with Colin. I'm sorry you're feeling disappointed." This morning, he woke up with a fever and threw up his breakfast. Poor Will! He and I stayed home from church today and he is recovering.

5.  It's crazy how every stage brings a whole new set of problems and as parents we just do our best.
RELAX AND ENJOY IT!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!