The Bickmore Buzz January 22, 2017
Hi family and friends!
What a crazy month it's been so far. I personally have had some emotional days saying farewell to President and First Lady Obama. I know there are some of you in the family that were happy to see them go, but not me. I am truly going to miss their dignity, class, grace, style, values, and genuineness. The good news is they've set up a website obama.org to share projects that they want to do in the future in conjunction with their presidential library. I couldn't bring myself to watch the Inauguration. I did see a clip of the Trumps meeting the Obamas at the White House. It's amazing that we live in a country that can have such a peaceful transition of power. For that, I am grateful. I'm just mind boggled that someone who loses the popular vote by 3 million and is such a jerk can become president. Alright, moving on to happier subjects.
Isaac had his 36th birthday on the 11th. We ate cheesecake and said what we love about him. Van suggested at the end that Isaac share what he loves about himself. He said, "I like that I have good ideas and that I'm smart." Van frowned and practically crying said, "I thought you were going to say that what you love about yourself is that you're a dad." Isaac assured him that he loves that the most about himself. That weekend, Isaac and I went on a double date for his birthday to see the movie Arrival. We LOVED it. I haven't cried that hard in a movie in a long time!
On MLK Jr. Day we took the kids to see Hidden Figures. That was also an outstanding movie!! I can't wait to read the book. Van was a little too young and got bored. A couple of times he audibly yawned and asked really loud, "When is this movie gonna be over?" Afterward, we used Grandma's gift card to Applebee's and got some dinner. We love having a day off of school!
Our friends Natalie and Sipho and their sweet baby came over on Wednesday night and treated us to dinner. They're on a road trip through the southwest to escape the cold. It was so much fun seeing them. That baby Ian is soooooo cute and such a good natured baby.
William is so dang tall! This morning when he walked into the kitchen it seemed like he grew inches over night. He and Van are having a lot of fun with their Wii U. They've made lots of levels in their Super Mario Maker game.
Isaac has a screening interview with the University of Central Missouri on the 30th. Please keep him in your prayers! He has applied to 12 different schools. He is working hard on his dissertation and is also putting together a Robot Film Festival with Basis School in Scottsdale. He has 10 robots (Dot and Dash) from his Edson grant to use. Will and Van had fun playing with Dash and coding him.
Today was our stake conference. I sang a duet at the adult session with my friend Elisa. It was nerve racking, but encouraging to hear people's praises afterward.
Overheard at our house:
What a crazy month it's been so far. I personally have had some emotional days saying farewell to President and First Lady Obama. I know there are some of you in the family that were happy to see them go, but not me. I am truly going to miss their dignity, class, grace, style, values, and genuineness. The good news is they've set up a website obama.org to share projects that they want to do in the future in conjunction with their presidential library. I couldn't bring myself to watch the Inauguration. I did see a clip of the Trumps meeting the Obamas at the White House. It's amazing that we live in a country that can have such a peaceful transition of power. For that, I am grateful. I'm just mind boggled that someone who loses the popular vote by 3 million and is such a jerk can become president. Alright, moving on to happier subjects.
Isaac had his 36th birthday on the 11th. We ate cheesecake and said what we love about him. Van suggested at the end that Isaac share what he loves about himself. He said, "I like that I have good ideas and that I'm smart." Van frowned and practically crying said, "I thought you were going to say that what you love about yourself is that you're a dad." Isaac assured him that he loves that the most about himself. That weekend, Isaac and I went on a double date for his birthday to see the movie Arrival. We LOVED it. I haven't cried that hard in a movie in a long time!
On MLK Jr. Day we took the kids to see Hidden Figures. That was also an outstanding movie!! I can't wait to read the book. Van was a little too young and got bored. A couple of times he audibly yawned and asked really loud, "When is this movie gonna be over?" Afterward, we used Grandma's gift card to Applebee's and got some dinner. We love having a day off of school!
Our friends Natalie and Sipho and their sweet baby came over on Wednesday night and treated us to dinner. They're on a road trip through the southwest to escape the cold. It was so much fun seeing them. That baby Ian is soooooo cute and such a good natured baby.
William is so dang tall! This morning when he walked into the kitchen it seemed like he grew inches over night. He and Van are having a lot of fun with their Wii U. They've made lots of levels in their Super Mario Maker game.
Isaac has a screening interview with the University of Central Missouri on the 30th. Please keep him in your prayers! He has applied to 12 different schools. He is working hard on his dissertation and is also putting together a Robot Film Festival with Basis School in Scottsdale. He has 10 robots (Dot and Dash) from his Edson grant to use. Will and Van had fun playing with Dash and coding him.
Today was our stake conference. I sang a duet at the adult session with my friend Elisa. It was nerve racking, but encouraging to hear people's praises afterward.
Overheard at our house:
- Wednesday was the 100th day of school at Carminati. The kindergarteners dressed up like they were 100 years old. I don't think Van broke character the whole day at school. He hobbled hunched over with his cane at recess, on the bus, in class, etc. He kept saying, "I'm an old grandpa."
- William fixed a plate of food yesterday. He microwaved a frozen burrito, washed off an apple, and put some baby carrots with hummus on the plate. I admired his independence and remarked, "What a great lunch that you fixed all by yourself!" Then he flashed a huge smile and said, "This is for you!" I had literally just finished my lunch and said, "I can't eat that! I just ate!" William hung his head and tried to fight back the tears, but they came flowing down his cheeks. I felt awful so I stuffed myself with second lunch. I advised him that when he wants to fix someone lunch, to offer first, like, "Would you like me to fix you some lunch?"
- Van asked Natalie how Ian got in her tummy in the first place. Isaac asked William to explain it to him. William gave a very impressive explanation and even included some gestures. I actually wasn't home yet to hear it, but the adults said he was spot on.
![]() |
| Van and I dressed like old people to celebrate 100th day! |
![]() |
| Ian loves me! |
![]() |
| We love the Gumbo's! |




Comments