Great to be Eight
William turned 8 on Friday! He has been looking forward to his birthday all month. We decorated the kitchen in a minecraft theme. We hung streamers in the doorway to represent the portal along with balloons and a poster. In the morning, Will was so excited to see everything set up. He was thrilled that I bought his favorite breakfast--- sausage wrapped in a pancake on a stick. He ate it dipped in ketchup. He got two minecraft Lego sets that he had been dying to get-- the desert outpost and crafting box and three minecraft handbooks. He kept saying, "this is the best birthday ever!" He asked me to put his hair in a Mohawk. He wore his happy birthday button he got from Disneyland to school. Instead of going out to lunch, he noticed that the cafeteria was serving macaroni and cheese and wanted to eat at school. He LOVES hot lunch. Isaac and I ate with him in the cafeteria. My aide took over my classroom for 20 minutes so I could do that. After school, Will invited his best friend over to put together the new minecraft Lego sets. Then we all ate hot dogs, Doritos, grapes, and salad. William loves the mini vanilla cupcakes from Fry's. We sang him happy birthday. He decided he was too full for a cupcake. We each said what we loved about William. Then we took his friend home. That night before bed, I recounted his birth story. Then Van wanted to hear his birth story. It was the perfect 8th birthday.
Thursday, we attended Will and Van's parent teacher conferences. At William's we heard comments like " top of the class", "distracted", "witty", "kind", "needs to put more effort into his writing". Then his teacher showed us the power point he made on ocean habitats. It's moments like that where I miss being Will's teacher and getting to see him present his projects in class. She is going to email me the power point so he can present it to us. I love his teacher. I'm so grateful that I get to teach at my sons' school and that I know their teachers on a personal level.
Things about our 8 year old:
He loves minecraft! He wore his new minecraft shirt three days in a row.
You'll find him building Lego sets, drawing, playing minecraft on the iPad, reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid or minecraft handbooks.
He is scared of the dark.
He says very sincere prayers.
He asks questions all. the. time. He is very inquisitive.
He swims in the deep end without hesitation.
He loves to cuddle.
He gets embarrassed when we do crazy things in public. For instance, I rolled down the windows and turned up the music when I saw my teammate in the parking lot and yelled, "Woo hoo! It's Friday!" William slumped down in his seat and said "you're so embarrassing."
He always gives me the sweetest smiles, kisses on the cheek, and says "I love you mom."
We love you son! Happy Birthday!
Van lost his first tooth today! He almost swallowed it. Ha! His teacher said he is doing a great job in kindergarten. She was laughing with him, calling him a goofball at parent teacher conference. Van loves her. He gave her a note that said "I love you ms. Sanchez" and drew a picture of her.
Overheard at our house:
Van is so excited about losing his first tooth. He looked in the mirror and noted, " I don't even look like Van anymore."
Van was bummed he didn't get to help us set up the kitchen for will's birthday. I assured him that we tried to wake him up. He yelled, "Well you should have said it louder!"









Comments