Bickmore Buzz May 8, 2016
Happy Mother's Day to all our wonderful mothers! This was a pretty good week. My class finished all of their testing and did an outstanding job. I try really hard not to stress about testing, but when there is so much talk about test scores, it's hard to not stress about it. In the end my students "rocked the test" as we like to say at Carminati. Thank goodness. I haven't told William yet, but he actually scored the highest in our class on the math test. He'll find out at the awards ceremony.
I volunteered to be in charge of Teacher Appreciation Week this year. Some of you might remember how annoyed I was last year that no one put together some kind of note or treat for the teachers. I don't know, I guess teaching in Utah with those wonderful PTA members really spoiled me. They always went all out to show us their gratitude. So, as a parent of my school, I put together a letter to the student body and asked them to bring a flower to their teachers on Tuesday, a sweet treat on Wednesday, and make a card on Thursday. As teachers, we're ecstatic with a simple "thank you", but I think it was good for the students to show their appreciation. Their faces were beaming when they would present their gifts to me. On Wednesday, I overheard Samantha say to Madison, "Don't you just love teacher appreciation week? I love telling the teachers how much I appreciate them."
Because of Teacher Appreciation Week, we got to eat free pizza at Peter Piper on Tuesday night. The boys had a lot fun playing the arcades. On Thursday, we went to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa with our friends. Organ Stop was also offering a free pizza to teachers! We have never been there. It was amazing! It's one of two theater organs left in the country. I was imagining just a regular organ playing in the corner of a pizza parlor. But, no, it was huge! I don't even know how to describe it. I hope the picture gives you an idea of what it's like. I can't wait to take Grandma Lisa and Papa John when they come to visit at the end of the month!
On Friday, Isaac took the boys camping to Father and Sons campout. He also took two other boys in our ward. They had a lot of fun. Isaac hopes and prays he is never called to be Scoutmaster. Looking after four boys was enough.
I slept so soundly Friday night. No one to put to bed. No one to wake me up. It was awesome! I watched Captain America: Winter Solider in preparation for Captain America: Civil War. We went to the new Captain America last night with our friends Jesse and Kasia. My reaction to the new film--Meh. I love the second movie so much and Civil War was not as good. It was still fun to see a Marvel movie.
Today was a wonderful mother's day. I had breakfast in bed, enjoyed hearing the boys sing at church, and taught Van's primary class again. I talked to my mom, Lana, Isaac's mom, and my friend Natalie.
After I put William to bed, I started crying. You see, earlier when he was telling Natalie all about Minecraft, I sat and watched him because I was holding up the phone. He looked like he had grown up overnight. I was laying on my pillow and he was sitting up so I was looking at him from a different angle. His teeth looked so much bigger, the way he was talking and discussing Minecraft with Natalie sounded so wise. I realized that my son is growing up and I haven't been taking enough time to just sit, really look at both my sons and converse with them. So I was wrapped up in all these emotions--guilt, joy, pride, sadness, and it brought me to tears. It's bittersweet knowing that the baby days are gone and that exciting times are ahead. Mostly, I want to be more engaged with them and do better to REALLY listen.
I had the chance to sort through some old pictures and letters this weekend. My mom has written me countless heartfelt cards and notes over the years. I'm so glad I've saved many of them. It's a good reminder of how often she expresses her love for me. Thank you Mom for all of your loving and supportive words! Isaac's mom is good about writing wonderful notes and messages to me too and I've saved a lot of them. I'm so grateful to have good examples of loving, supportive mothers in my life.
Overheard at our house:
Van told me, "You're the boss of Mother's Day. You can do whatever you want."
Isaac had the boys share what they love about me. Van said, "You're good at working out."
William told Natalie, "I'm a very creative person."
![]() |
| Organ Stop Pizza! Can you see the organist behind the boys? |
![]() |
| This was by Van. |
![]() |
| By William |
![]() |
| One of Van's cards |
![]() |
| The inside of the card. That's me. |
![]() |
| From William. I love the winking heart. |
![]() |
| The front of Will's card we made at school. |
![]() |
| This was made by William at church today. |
![]() |
| The inside of the card. |
![]() |
| Van's card. I'm glad Van likes that I let him watch Jesus Videos. :) |















Comments