Perspective & the week of Birthdays
Happy 6th Birthday Son!
William turned 6 yesterday! On his birthday eve, we were cuddling on his bed and I told him his birth story. It felt like it all happened yesterday as I recounted the details of how he came to our family. Towards the end, our conversation turned into literally HOW he came and he thought it was funny when I said, "birth canal". It's crazy how fast Will is growing and learning.
Last week I was feeling pretty blue about having a demanding full-time job. It was tearing my heart thinking about how much I missed being a stay at home mom. I attended the Saturday Women's Meeting and left feeling inspired, but also guilty and questioning myself if going to work everyday is truly the best thing for me and my family. Then, on Sunday we learned of a family in our ward that was being evicted and the mom was checking into a hotel and waiting for an interview at Fry's Grocery. It was devastating news, but it was news that was necessary for me to hear.
It occurred to me like a lighting bolt how blessed I am to have the job that I do. I am an educated woman with a career. I work two miles from home. I have health insurance. I have a stable living situation AND I get to see William at least three times a day at school. Every morning I watch him play with his friends on the playground during my morning supervision. It makes me laugh watching the girls squeal and run while he follows them like a zombie. When I walk my students back to class from lunch, William stands ready on the field waving to me. On his birthday, my students yelled, "Happy Birthday William!" while he was waving to us. My students love hearing about my family and seeing Will so when I told them it was his birthday, they got so excited.
When we go to and from specials I see Will's class walking by and we quick give each other a hug. His teacher usually leaves the blinds open so when I pass his classroom I take a quick glance and see him working. In the morning, he sits at a desk and draws while I set up the day. If I make copies, he comes with me to the copy room and Mr. Merrill, our elderly volunteer, says a funny old man quip to William like, "Are you being a good helper?" The librarian loves to share with me the cute things William says or does. Yesterday, on his birthday, there was a practice fire drill. Will's class was lined up next to ours. As William was watching me direct my students, I thought, "Will knows me as a mom and a teacher. How cool is that that he can watch me in action in both roles?"
SO, no matter how stressful teaching gets, I can't believe how blessed I am. I get to see William everyday and the memories we are making at Carminati will always be dear to me.
I love you Will!!!!!!!!!

Comments