Getting off on the right foot

I met my students tonight. They are so teeny and adorable. On the way to Meet the Teacher Night, Isaac suggested a family prayer. Sine he was driving, I said the prayer. The first thing I asked was, "help me to fall madly in love with my students since I will be spending 180 days with them." 
As I met 16 of the 23, I could tell right away who would need some extra TLC and who was going to lift my spirits on the hard days. I really want my students to enjoy school. With the new direction education is going, I feel like it's sucking the life out of our kids and learning isn't fun anymore. We are just too focused on data. I really want to be a positive force and make school fun for my students... and colleagues! In order to do that, I have had this strong impression to take better care of myself. Last year about did me in and I don't want to repeat that again. So, these are my goals for the upcoming year to help me survive:
Exercise daily.
Meditate daily--I've been learning about this lately and it makes a big difference when I spend 5-10 min being present and visualizing a happy place.
Eat a hearty breakfast- I want to eat something else besides cold cereal everyday to supply my body with the energy it needs.
Do Yoga at least once a week.
Take all three of my boys on an individual date once a month-- more often with Isaac.
Pray pray pray-- I want to be more specific in praying for help. Lana is so good at this and whenever she shares with me I think about how I want to pray more like her.
Read read read-- read my scriptures more thoughtfully and spend less time surfing Instagram.
Think positive. I'm tired of sounding and thinking like a Debbie Downer. This  year I am going to focus on thinking positive thoughts to save my sanity.

Pretty simple and attainable. It's going to be a spectacular school year! 

Comments

Lisa B. said…
Lesley! I obviously got out of the habit of checking your blog--I feel you, my sister, because sometimes everything else takes precedence. I will start checking more regularly--I love these updates. I have had the same instinct with the health challenges John is facing--I need to take care of myself so that I can be there for him. I love that you're doing this, and you are really smart to think this way. Inspiring!

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!