Goodbye, Utah (for now)


Our last weeks in Utah, in some ways, felt like I was planning my funeral. Everything I was doing I kept thinking "This is the last time..." I wanted to go on a hike in the mountains because it seemed like I would NEVER get to do it ever again. I wanted to spend as much time as possible with family and friends because I would NEVER get to see them again. I realized about a week before we moved that I will still get to do lots of things in Utah because I will return there to visit and hopefully live there again someday. I will see family and friends again, not as often as I'd like, but I will see them more than once a year in person. I don't think I've ever cried so much in a month as this past month, but it was therapeutic and I'm grateful that I was able to let myself feel sad and grieve over this huge change in my life. Once we started on the road toward Tempe, I naturally began looking forward and dwelt more on what lie ahead rather than what I was leaving behind.

Some things I wanted to note about our final weeks:
It was wonderful to spend so much time with family. We hung out with Sophie and Curtis a few times. Once we went swimming and had a BBQ in their backyard. I will miss their company so much. I always laugh hard when I'm around them and I feel so at home with them. I can fart, burp, make fun of each other, wear crazy lounge clothes, talk about anything and everything. I'll miss that a lot.

Hanging out with Kelly and her kids. I hardly ever get to see Kelly, but the last week and a half she was staying with Lana in West Valley. I'm so glad I was able to be with her and go to free lunch in the park. She got a new iphone so we had fun figuring it out together.

Going to Lana's water aerobic class. (see previous post). This was fun too because my niece Brittany also came to the class. She's another one I don't get to see as often as I'd like so it was nice to spend time with her. We were all dying on the part when we had to do the mermaid move.

Going on a hike to Lisa Falls. I love driving up the canyons in Utah and going on short, easy hikes. The Lisa Falls hike in Little Cottonwood Canyon was perfect for the boys. Will was excited to try out his new hiking boots.

Will and I planned a farewell party for him. We invited his friends over and had a Star Wars party. All of the guests went home with a pool noodle light saber and a balloon sculpture, made by Sebastian Nye. Will planned all the games and the snacks. We played pin the ears on Yoda, Clone Training, and had a Pod obstacle Race. The snacks we served were C3P0 heads (grapes), battle droids (pretzel sticks), Star Wars fruit snacks, and Ice Sabers (otter pops).

Grandma Bruiser planned a family farewell party for us. The two families got together plus friends.  We ate good food, talked and talked, and cried and cried. The hardest part was saying goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa Orme. I love them so much and I'm sad I won't be able to see them on a regular basis. Sophie had everyone sign a note inside of a Smashbook. It's displayed on our mantel right now and I love reading the letters from all who attended the party.

The weekend we went to Doug's Cabin, Will and Van spent half the weekend with Sophie and the other half with Kelly and my mom. They got to go to the park, eat treats, saw "Monsters University", and sleep over with cousins. Everyone said what an angel Van was. I'm so glad.

The week that I spent packing and cleaning, the boys would spend each day with someone new. They spent  a day with Trish and her kids. Van kept saying "Trishy's house" all week. It was cute. Another day, they spent with Grandma Bruiser. Will requested going to a painting museum so she took them to the Utah Museum of Fine Arts. They picked up lunch and watched a movie with popcorn at her house. They LOVED it.  The other days they played at the Williams's house next door or with Kelly.

The night we packed up the U-Haul was the worst. I had to say goodbye to Sophie, Trish, and Natalie. I consider them my sisters and it was heartbreaking to give them a hug goodbye. I've been so spoiled with all their support, I don't know what I'll do without them close by.

The morning we left, Marcia and her kids brought over some toys for Will and Van--Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles and a Woody race car. It was hard saying goodbye to them. They have been the best neighbors. Her kids are the most polite kids I have ever met. That says a lot because I have met a lot of kids in my short lifetime. I loved having them play at my house or letting Will and Van play at theirs.

My friend Tori stopped by to say goodbye and we cried on each other's shoulders. Then I had to say goodbye to my sister, Kelly. That was rough because she is also moving far away and I have no idea how often I'll get to see her again. I then said goodbye to John and took one last look at the house I loved. It was the perfect home for us and I have many sweet memories of living there.

Once we got in our vehicles, Kelly, Chris, and Kiera, raced down the street waving goodbye to us. I waved goodbye, turned around and was ready to start my new adventure!

Goodbye, Utah. We love your four seasons, your majestic mountains, kind people, and the fact that you are home to most of our family. I hope to reunite with you someday for good.


Comments

Lisa B. said…
Epic post, which I appreciate so much, because I love reading about all these events, the ones I was a part of and the ones I wasn't. It's a great and big thing you're doing--it deserved a monumental send-off!
Amelia said…
That is a good way to say goodbye and turn to face the fun future ahead!
Sophia said…
BOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! I have tears streaming down my face. I already miss you guys so much. I absolutely consider you a sister as well. Love you.

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!