Adventures, Adventures!

Being married to a musician definitely has its ups. When I first met my hubby, Isaac, he wasn't sure what he wanted to do for a career. He knew that he loved music and that he was good at it. His vocal teachers encouraged him to pursue a career in vocal performance, but we were worried about taking that path because it wouldn't provide a steady income and we'd have to buy a private insurance plan. (Side note: Diabetes sucks, but it has really helped us make smart long term decisions). So, he decided he wanted to teach music, specifically teach Jr. High choir.

During his undergraduate studies, he was a member of the University of Utah Singers. The choir director was one of the very best and the choir quickly gained a reputation for their quality sound. Word came that the choir would be competing in an international festival in France. Isaac told me I could come too. I signed up to substitute while I was off track to earn my way to go. My dream of seeing that part of the world had come true. I was able to spend a month traveling to different parts of Europe--France, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, and hear the choir sing again and again in these incredible cathedrals. They won the grand prize and were invited to return the next summer. Again, I was invited to come. Since my school had moved to a traditional schedule, I got a job at Sylvan tutoring in the evenings and earned my way to go. This time they competed in Spain. The first year we extended our trip to fly to Scotland to see The Davies and Miriam, who was a wee baby back then. The second time, we extended our trip to stay with the Tuellers in Vienna, Austria. I mean, how could we fly to that part of the world and choose not to visit our family that lives there, right?

Isaac charming the crowd with his voice. He sang the most solos in the choir. In fact, when the choir first competed, Isaac opened the number of their first piece with a solo. It was the perfect voice to introduce the talent of the choir.
 

Notre Dame Cathedral

Italy

Scotland! I LOVE Scotland.

Uncle Isaac and Baby Miriam


What a cutie!

Handsome Pair--Amelia and Raymond

Scotland. Castle Ruins. Amazing.

Beautiful Sea.

The Netherlands--absolute favorite place

Luxembourg Palace

The Thinker

Glorietta in Schonbrunn Palace--Vienna


Barcelona.

Bratislava, Slovakia.
Paris!!
I don't know where this is. France, I believe.
The Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain
Spain?
Celebrating the grand prize in Tolosa, Spain
When my art history teacher showed a slide of this piece, "Nike" it blew my mind. I had no idea when I stepped in the lobby of the Louvre it would be right there, front and center. It took my breath away. This picture does not do it justice. It's so amazing in real life!

Leaning Tower of Pisa
Leaning Towers of Madrid

Madrid LDS Temple

So, you're probably thinking I am just trying to find a way to brag about my world travels. Well, maybe, BUT there is a point to all of this. You see, once Isaac graduated, he landed a dream job at Nibley Park School teaching general music to Kindergarten-8th grades and leading a choir for 7th and 8th grades. He resisted the traditional choir way and took on a new approach to choir. He named his choir, The Rock N' Roll History Choir. Instead of singing traditional choir music, he encouraged the students to take ownership of their music and choose a popular song to learn and perform. I'll never forget the first choral concert. I attended the day concert and watched it with the whole school. The Rock 'N Roll History choir sang one of my favorite songs by Coldplay, "Fix You." After the interlude with that awesome guitar solo, the choir kids stomped their feet and clapped their hands to the beat with the drummer, singing "Tears stream down your face when you lose something you cannot replace." The school kids loved it so much, they joined in with the clapping. So, the entire student body was engaged and it made tears stream down MY face. I was so proud of Isaac for helping kids feel the music and getting them to have a true musical experience.

Now, five years later, Isaac is thinking about another adventure--getting a Ph.D. It has been stressing me out so bad the past few months. I get sick thinking about leaving all that I love behind--my family, my home, my friends, my job, etc. to downsize to a 2 bedroom apartment, have Isaac away studying and writing like crazy, so he can teach at a University. Then, a few days ago I had an epiphany.  Isaac's passion for music and music education has blessed me with so many wonderful experiences. When I think about moving to Baton Rouge, LA, Tempe, AZ or Seattle, WA I still cringe a little, but mostly now I think about how much I can grow and learn moving outside of Utah and facing a challenge. Isaac is so talented and has a lot to offer the world of music education. I think he could make a real difference in helping it take a new direction, like the one he took at Nibley Park. Wherever we are one year from now, I'm resolved to be happy and enjoy life no matter where it takes us. As one friend put it --"Every time we've taken a leap, it's been worth it!" 

Comments

Amelia said…
:) I loved seeing those old pictures, what adventures you guys had. And what adventures your future holds! I think you have the right attitude to the future.
ABick said…
change is one of my favorite things about life. the two big moves i've made in my life have helped shape who i am as a person.
This could be a great adventure for not only you and isaac but the boys as well. you can do this! :)
Sophia said…
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! You cant leave me!! I love this post, Isaac is so lucky to have such a loving supportive wife. While I would miss you all so much I am so excited for you guys to take this next step. Love you!
Lisa B. said…
This is exactly the right way to think about it (I keep telling myself and telling myself...). I hope that whatever the opportunity is, it will be a good one, and you'll all get to rise to that occasion and grow and learn and create new opportunities for yourselves. It's okay if I say how much I will miss you if you go, though, isn't it? (I may or may not have tears streaming down MY face at the moment.) Rock on, Isaac and Lesley Bickmore!
I am super excited for you guys! Yup, look at this as an adventure, and how great it will be for your kids (change makes children adaptable) :)
Nat said…
What memories. I have no doubt the futures holds many many more!
Trish said…
Oh my dear Lesley. How I will miss you and your darling boys! I am excited for you and your new adventures and hope that life brings you back close to Utah again someday! ;)
Lana Schow said…
I can't believe you went to all these amazing places! I hope one day I can travel the world, too!
Isaac is very talented and what an amazing, supportive wife you are! And you have such a great attitude. I am SO bummed that right when we move close to you, you move away. :( It's been so fun to be close and have get togethers and watch each other's kiddos.
But this will be a great adventure like you said and will probably be a great blessing! Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!