Take Time to Smell the Roses

Many times I have heard from veteran mothers things like "Enjoy your kids when they're little", "I wish I would've played with my kids more when they were young," and "They grow up too fast!" Lately, I've been feeling badly that I don't enjoy my children as much as I should. Too often, I would rather play on my ipod touch instead of enjoy my boys.  Last night I was visiting with my neighbor. She is a great mother and she said "I love kids! That's why I had so many." I told her how sometimes I get so overwhelmed I don't know if I can ever handle any more than two kids. She then reminded me that feeling overwhelmed as a mother is normal and that I'll feel better if I do things WITH my kids instead of around them." Tonight, I followed her counsel. William fell asleep during dinner so I gave just Van a bath. I started the bath and took out my ipod so I could play a round of Scramble while Van took a bath, but decided instead to be in the moment. I pulled out the bubbles and blew some bubbles at him and he LOVED it. Then when it was time to dry him off and put on his PJs I played "this little piggie" on his toes and blew on his tummy. His laugh makes it all the more fun. After that we read extra stories together. It felt wonderful to be in the moment with my sweet boy. I think sometimes as a mom I try to do it all--keep the house clean, make time for myself, feed the family, feed the homeless, pay the bills, weed the garden, help my neighbors, stay in touch with the family, organize, do the laundry, beautify, study, etc. that I forget one of the most important tasks of all--HAVE FUN.  So I'm going to remember to be in the moment and if I fail, continue to feel bad about it. Ha ha!

Comments

Amelia said…
This is one of the biggest challenges of being a mom... but I happen to think you're a great one.
Lisa B. said…
I agree with Amelia on both points--but I will add that being in the moment is one of the great challenges of being alive. And we all have to remind ourselves from time to time to pay attention to what's right in front of us. Those moments with the ones we love, when we're fully present to them--they're absolutely priceless. I happen to think this is important for mothers and their children, but also friends, and husbands and wives, and people and their animals. Being present makes life more full. Yay you for having that moment today. You are awesome.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift-- that's why it's called the PRESENT.
Kudos to you, Lesley, for your awakening :) hee hee

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!