Two Peas in a Pod
For the first two decades of my life it was "Lana and Lesley." The last ten years it has been "Lesley and Isaac." I have so many fond memories of Lana and I growing up together that I have to admit it has been strange as we've pursued our own paths and have lived apart these past ten years. I don't have many memories of my twin sister and me together. I remember attending a wedding reception of an old friend from high school a few years ago and his family was so excited to introduce us to their middle-aged twin cousins. "This is how we picture you and Lana when you guys get older," they said. The twin sisters were joking at the table together while their husbands talked. I remember thinking "I hope that's how we'll be." That is why when Lana and Craig bought a house a mile away (thanks Uncle Terry!) I was excited and also a bit nervous. I looked forward to having a member of my family within 45 minutes, but was also worried how it would fit into my life as a wife and mother and if I could be a helpful and supportive sister--something Lana has had from Kelly living so close to her all these years. Nonetheless, I was happy to have Lana back and was anxious to see how it would turn out. Well, so far so good. I have seen Lana about once a week and already we've had some good times. Here is what I already have stored up in my memory:
- Hearing Lana laugh two rows behind me in the movie theater and repeating the last word of every joke.
- Watching "What's Up Doc?" in my basement and this time both of us laughing and repeating the last word of every joke.
- Lana showing me how to curl my hair the right way with a flat iron instead of the way the girl showed me on YouTube.
- Eating and enjoying Lana and Craig's Thanksgiving leftovers together at their house.
- Sharing William's birth story with Lana and giving her all of my advice on how to cope with labor pain. (She is expecting her first baby in February :))
- Hearing what William did that drove Lana crazy while she babysat him and laughing that they are the exact things that make me lose my patience with him. She even said "For crying out loud here's your toast!" when Will would not fall asleep because he wanted bread. I smiled knowing Will must have felt right at home with Aunt Lana.
- My mom stopping by for a quick visit on her way to St. George after dropping off Mayzee at Lana's. She said "Well, I was in the neighborhood! I couldn't leave without stopping by to say hi to my grandbabies!" I'm so glad Lana and I are in the same neighborhood.
Comments