Underwear for a Day
Monday morning Will said "Mom I pooped. You change my diaper?" I thought "Ok if he is ASKING me to change his diaper, can't he wear underwear?" So after I changed his diaper I asked "Do you want to wear underwear?" expecting "No" as the response. Instead Will piped up with "Like Christian!" His cousin Chris uses the potty now and Will was obviously encouraged by that. So we put on the "Woody Buzz" underwear and I put on his ugliest pair of pants. We had already decided that morning to go to the Dinosaur storytime at the library so I proceeded with the day's plans with William in underwear. I was way paranoid and put all chores aside and kept my eyes glued on his pants waiting to see any signs of leaking. After 30 minutes of nothing and saying 100 times "Tell mommy when you need to go potty" I relaxed a bit.
We went to the library and during storytime I ran Will to the bathroom three times convinced he needed to go, but nothing ever came out. Then when it came time to check out our handful of books I couldn't find my library card! I searched high and low through the shelves, went back to the storytime area, but was unsuccessful. I informed the librarian that I lost my card, turned around and saw Will in WET pants! I said "Ok let's go!" We walked out of the library into a giant windstorm, his dinosaur puppet blew away, and already the day was feeling crazy. We got home and Sophie and Deacon were there waiting for us to go to Chick-Fil-A. I told Sophie that Will was excited about underwear so we may have to leave early if he pees his pants.
After I changed Will's wet clothes and put on his second ugliest pair of pants, Isaac's cousin came over with a thank you gift from our uncle Terry who is also our Real Estate Consultant for Life. It was fun visiting and I felt so dumb that my house was in complete disarray, but what can you do when your two year old wants to wear underpants?? Of course during the visiting Will peed his pants again so I said "Will should we put on a diaper?" He protested so I said "Ok let's hurry and go to Chick-Fil-A and maybe he won't wet his pants since he just did!" Chick-Fil-A was delicious and Soph and I were having a good conversation. I kept peering at Will in the play place for any signs of pee accidents. Then at the end when he wouldn't come down, Sophie climbed up and said "Pee pants!" She kindly went down the slide with Will, pee pants and all, and we came home. I kept telling myself "Ok accidents happen. This is what it's all about."
Before nap I told Will "Ok for nap you wear a diaper." No protests. Good. While he was napping I called my sister & Isaac to tell them about the day thus far. THEN Will woke up. I put his underwear back on. Ok, I figured since he pooped in the morning he wouldn't again. WELL, about an hour after he woke up, I was nursing Van and simultaneously playing blocks with Will when Will jumped up and said "Oh I go potty!" I was shocked that he was going to the potty on his own so I yelled "Yay Will!" Then when he reached the bathroom I wondered "Does he know how to pull his underwear down?" I then heard footsteps running out of the bathroom. I put Van down, who started screaming because he was still eating and I ran frantically down the hallway. Then I smelled it. I yelled "William where are you?!" I followed the smell, saw Will in my bedroom with a look of shock on his face and poo running down his leg. "Noooooo!" I yelled. Then I picked him up and put him in my bathroom and tried to set him on my toilet but he stiffened his body and started crying. I said "Stay here while I get your froggy potty from the other bathroom." Meanwhile Van is screaming and I can feel my eyes welling up with frustration. I grabbed the potty, set Will on it and began rinsing out the underwear. Will said "Like Percy!" which was funny. there's an episode in Thomas the Train about Percy and the chocolate Crunch where Percy gets covered in chocolate. Anyway, I know this post is gross, but then I took Will to the bath and he started crying "No bath!" I ignored his crying and that's when Isaac walked in. Hallelujah! Isaac took over and I started crying. Will was sobbing "I too small!" but I reassured him it wasn't his fault and that he is a big boy. Isaac then suggested the most genius thing. "Let's just wait until the summer when I can help." I heartily agreed and that was our underwear for a day experience.
We went to the library and during storytime I ran Will to the bathroom three times convinced he needed to go, but nothing ever came out. Then when it came time to check out our handful of books I couldn't find my library card! I searched high and low through the shelves, went back to the storytime area, but was unsuccessful. I informed the librarian that I lost my card, turned around and saw Will in WET pants! I said "Ok let's go!" We walked out of the library into a giant windstorm, his dinosaur puppet blew away, and already the day was feeling crazy. We got home and Sophie and Deacon were there waiting for us to go to Chick-Fil-A. I told Sophie that Will was excited about underwear so we may have to leave early if he pees his pants.
After I changed Will's wet clothes and put on his second ugliest pair of pants, Isaac's cousin came over with a thank you gift from our uncle Terry who is also our Real Estate Consultant for Life. It was fun visiting and I felt so dumb that my house was in complete disarray, but what can you do when your two year old wants to wear underpants?? Of course during the visiting Will peed his pants again so I said "Will should we put on a diaper?" He protested so I said "Ok let's hurry and go to Chick-Fil-A and maybe he won't wet his pants since he just did!" Chick-Fil-A was delicious and Soph and I were having a good conversation. I kept peering at Will in the play place for any signs of pee accidents. Then at the end when he wouldn't come down, Sophie climbed up and said "Pee pants!" She kindly went down the slide with Will, pee pants and all, and we came home. I kept telling myself "Ok accidents happen. This is what it's all about."
Before nap I told Will "Ok for nap you wear a diaper." No protests. Good. While he was napping I called my sister & Isaac to tell them about the day thus far. THEN Will woke up. I put his underwear back on. Ok, I figured since he pooped in the morning he wouldn't again. WELL, about an hour after he woke up, I was nursing Van and simultaneously playing blocks with Will when Will jumped up and said "Oh I go potty!" I was shocked that he was going to the potty on his own so I yelled "Yay Will!" Then when he reached the bathroom I wondered "Does he know how to pull his underwear down?" I then heard footsteps running out of the bathroom. I put Van down, who started screaming because he was still eating and I ran frantically down the hallway. Then I smelled it. I yelled "William where are you?!" I followed the smell, saw Will in my bedroom with a look of shock on his face and poo running down his leg. "Noooooo!" I yelled. Then I picked him up and put him in my bathroom and tried to set him on my toilet but he stiffened his body and started crying. I said "Stay here while I get your froggy potty from the other bathroom." Meanwhile Van is screaming and I can feel my eyes welling up with frustration. I grabbed the potty, set Will on it and began rinsing out the underwear. Will said "Like Percy!" which was funny. there's an episode in Thomas the Train about Percy and the chocolate Crunch where Percy gets covered in chocolate. Anyway, I know this post is gross, but then I took Will to the bath and he started crying "No bath!" I ignored his crying and that's when Isaac walked in. Hallelujah! Isaac took over and I started crying. Will was sobbing "I too small!" but I reassured him it wasn't his fault and that he is a big boy. Isaac then suggested the most genius thing. "Let's just wait until the summer when I can help." I heartily agreed and that was our underwear for a day experience.
Comments