Sense of Achievement
Don't you think the spring season is the season of achievement with the flowers blooming, the sun's rays actually giving warmth, the little creatures (and us humans!) that survived the bitter cold of winter, etc? As I sat on my lawn today enjoying the sunshine, not only did the sun feel amazing, but my life at the moment feels amazing. Spring has such a rejuvenating spirit and I have been especially feeling rejuvenated lately because:
1. Two kids doesn't feel so chaotic anymore. This is huge Nitty Gritty fans. In the beginning I felt like I was thrown into a tornado and it was disheartening. Now I have more control and it feels incredible. Who'd have thought that going to Target with two kids two days in a row would be an achievement? It is for me! I have a system shopping with two. I love it! We also go on lots of outings. This week it's been music class, play group, and story time. Last week it was Arctic Circle and the city fitness center. Fuuuuu-un!
2. I completed 11 weeks of P90X. Okay, so there are actually 12 weeks with one extra week of recovery (yoga and stretching), but I have a legitimate excuse for not completing week 12. I was having fun babysitting my cute nephew and I wasn't feeling well the rest of the week. I put it off for the next week but then Isaac got strep throat, etc. etc. excuse excuse. I do feel like I am in much better shape, certainly not the best shape of my life (will I ever be as strong as I was when I was 17 yrs. old? It's possible.) but I am at a great starting point and I don't plan on stopping now. I want to be strong when I turn 30 this year. 30! Weird.
3. I am starting a compost pile. I really want to plant a square foot garden this year and part of doing that is making a compost pile. Thanks to Isaac, he already started one last year by dumping the grass clippings into one big heap in the corner of the yard. Now I add my kitchen scraps to the heap and mix, mash, and move it at least three times a week. Believe it or not I LOVE yard work. My Dad did all the yard work when I was growing up and I think he passed the love-to-work-in-the-yard gene to me. I find being outside is calming. I'm sure it helps that our yard is beautifully landscaped. I don't mind the bugs. I love the sounds. Most of all I love the sunshine. I'm hoping we can have a long spring this year.
4. I am feeling well-established in our ward/neighborhood. It's always hard to find your place when you first move into a new ward. It takes a while to get to know people, their names, their service in the church, stuff like that. I'm finding that I can't use the excuse "Oh we just moved in" anymore because we moved in about 11 months ago. There aren't a lot of young families which has actually turned out to be a good thing because there is a true camaraderie among us few young moms and they feel like my sisters. We have play groups twice a month, girls night out, Bunco, watch our husbands play church sports and sit together at church meetings. It usually takes me a while to really let the inner crazy Lesley out, but with these gals it came right out because I feel so at home with them. It is comforting to know that I live in a friendly neighborhood and that I can actually stay here a long time.
5. Isaac and I are dating again! Ha that sounds so funny. We started a date exchange with my friend Trish and we've only had one date so far but I'm looking forward to the months ahead when we will get to go on some more dates. Isaac is my best friend and I enjoy his company so much. Will and I always get excited when we hear the garage door opening because we know Daddy is home! Even Van lights up when he walks through the door.
How is everyone else's spring season? Feeling rejuvenated? What are your accomplishments/goals?
1. Two kids doesn't feel so chaotic anymore. This is huge Nitty Gritty fans. In the beginning I felt like I was thrown into a tornado and it was disheartening. Now I have more control and it feels incredible. Who'd have thought that going to Target with two kids two days in a row would be an achievement? It is for me! I have a system shopping with two. I love it! We also go on lots of outings. This week it's been music class, play group, and story time. Last week it was Arctic Circle and the city fitness center. Fuuuuu-un!
2. I completed 11 weeks of P90X. Okay, so there are actually 12 weeks with one extra week of recovery (yoga and stretching), but I have a legitimate excuse for not completing week 12. I was having fun babysitting my cute nephew and I wasn't feeling well the rest of the week. I put it off for the next week but then Isaac got strep throat, etc. etc. excuse excuse. I do feel like I am in much better shape, certainly not the best shape of my life (will I ever be as strong as I was when I was 17 yrs. old? It's possible.) but I am at a great starting point and I don't plan on stopping now. I want to be strong when I turn 30 this year. 30! Weird.
3. I am starting a compost pile. I really want to plant a square foot garden this year and part of doing that is making a compost pile. Thanks to Isaac, he already started one last year by dumping the grass clippings into one big heap in the corner of the yard. Now I add my kitchen scraps to the heap and mix, mash, and move it at least three times a week. Believe it or not I LOVE yard work. My Dad did all the yard work when I was growing up and I think he passed the love-to-work-in-the-yard gene to me. I find being outside is calming. I'm sure it helps that our yard is beautifully landscaped. I don't mind the bugs. I love the sounds. Most of all I love the sunshine. I'm hoping we can have a long spring this year.
4. I am feeling well-established in our ward/neighborhood. It's always hard to find your place when you first move into a new ward. It takes a while to get to know people, their names, their service in the church, stuff like that. I'm finding that I can't use the excuse "Oh we just moved in" anymore because we moved in about 11 months ago. There aren't a lot of young families which has actually turned out to be a good thing because there is a true camaraderie among us few young moms and they feel like my sisters. We have play groups twice a month, girls night out, Bunco, watch our husbands play church sports and sit together at church meetings. It usually takes me a while to really let the inner crazy Lesley out, but with these gals it came right out because I feel so at home with them. It is comforting to know that I live in a friendly neighborhood and that I can actually stay here a long time.
5. Isaac and I are dating again! Ha that sounds so funny. We started a date exchange with my friend Trish and we've only had one date so far but I'm looking forward to the months ahead when we will get to go on some more dates. Isaac is my best friend and I enjoy his company so much. Will and I always get excited when we hear the garage door opening because we know Daddy is home! Even Van lights up when he walks through the door.
How is everyone else's spring season? Feeling rejuvenated? What are your accomplishments/goals?
Comments
I need to try that P90X, but only where no one else can see me.