Teeny Tiny Super Guy

Yesterday we took Will to his yearly allergist appointment. They do a skin test where they place different allergens on his back and if a hive appears, he is allergic to that food/animal. We were a bit nervous this time since he is older and can more easily scratch at his back. I figured if we had something to distract him he could sit through the 20 minutes of itchy back without any problems so we packed up the laptop, Shrek 2, and fruit snacks. Will did a fine job and didn't try to scratch at his back once. The nurse was impressed and I was proud.

RESULTS of the test: No hive appeared by dairy and eggs which means Will may have outgrown those allergies. However, he is now allergic to peanuts. Ugh! I was so hoping we wouldn't have to worry about that one. Anyway, our doctor said in order to be sure he has outgrown the dairy and egg allergy Will would need to have his blood drawn at St. Mark's or Primary Children's. Since we were right by St. Mark's we agreed to take him there.

LAB: Isaac and I asked the doctor where they would draw his blood and she pointed to the usual place on your arm and I got scared. Poor Will! As we entered the hospital I told Will they were going to stick a needle in his arm to see if he can eat ice cream. We stayed upbeat to hide our worry.

THE POKE: Isaac restrained Will and I held up a book and played I Spy with him to distract him. They inserted the needle in his arm and Will DID NOT CRY. He didn't even wince like I do when I get my blood drawn. I kept distracting him and it was taking forever to draw the blood because the flow kept slowing down. At the end Will started crying when they put the gauze on and wrapped his arm in a bandage. He said "Get down. Get down!" I couldn't believe what a brave kid we have. I was so relieved that it wasn't a traumatic experience. He pulled off the bandage and gauze in the car and said "Uh oh!" Too funny.

MORE TESTS: We'll know the results of the blood test in about a week and then we have one more test after that to make it conclusive that he has outgrown his dairy and egg allergy. Let's hope he has so he can have a normal birthday cake WITH ice cream!

Comments

Lisa B. said…
What a great kid. And how smart of you to think ahead about how to distract and keep him focused elsewhere. We'll all keep our fingers crossed about the dairy/egg situation. I want to hear more about what they said about peanuts--just so I'll know how to be careful!
Amelia said…
great job parents and will! Hope the results work out!
MrsKing said…
Brave baby!!! check him out =)

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!