In Memoriam

My Dad
William Kincaid Garrett

My Dad passed away last Thursday, February 4, 2010. I was fortunate to be there when he died and I will cherish that memory forever. My Mom, Lana, Kelly, Brittany, and I were there beside him when he took his final breaths. The sun was shining down on his bed and it was so peaceful. We could tell he was feeling anxious so we sang to him his favorite hymns, "Families Can Be Together Forever" and "I Stand All Amazed." It was during the last verse of "I Stand All Amazed" that he took his final breath. I can pinpoint the exact moment when I believe he saw the Savior. Once he was gone, we felt such relief and gratitude that he passed on the way he wanted to--in his bed, at home, surrounded by loved ones. I was also grateful that his body didn't have to endure through pain anymore.

The memorial services were yesterday. It was a beautiful program and I felt my dad's presence there. I could feel him smiling when my sisters and I sang the final number "I Stand All Amazed." It was the perfect ending to his life, and the perfect ending at his funeral.

I will miss stroking his arm and his long, soft arm hairs. I will miss wrapping my arms around him and most of all I will miss hearing him say "Hi Lesley!"

I'm so thankful for his testimony in Jesus Christ. He loved the Savior so much and I know he is with Him now. I can't wait to see both of them again someday!


I love you Dad! Thank you for always telling me how much you love me and how proud you are of me. I hope to be a parent like you--one that puts family FIRST! I will always miss you! XOXOXO



Comments

Lindsay said…
I am so happy to hear that you are full of peace right now, I can't imagine how hard it would be to lose someone so close to you. We really are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives.
Lisa B. said…
Lesley, I am so glad we were there yesterday at the service to feel your family's loving, vibrant spirit, which I know comes from both your mom and your dad. It was a real blessing to me.

I find often that I get little lessons in how to live life from the wonderful people who are around me. From you, I am reminded how important it is to enjoy and cherish my parents while they are with me; and not to be afraid of what seems so scary. The thought of you and your sisters singing to your dad--I will hold onto that thought. You are a wonderful person. And I am very glad I had the chance to get to know your dad, even if only a little bit.
Megann said…
I really love your testimony, it really is reassuring to know that you'll see him again. You are so strong, I am sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayer are with you and your family right now.
Rachael said…
Oh Lesley, that was beautiful. What an amazing yet tough thing to have to go through. Your whole family is strong and I know having you all there helped him know that you all will be okay until you can one day be together. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

Happy Birthday!