Down-N-Out Diner Project
Last month our family and our friends the Taylors founded the Down-N-Out Diner. The goal is to feed the homeless once a month. Last night was our first dinner and we were able to feed about 300 men. We planned on feeding 400 so we had plenty of food. The menu we planned was baked potatoes with chili & cheese, fruit, dessert and capri suns. Initially we were way stressed about how we were going to bake 400 potatoes. Then Isaac asked his lunch lady how she makes potatoes for the whole school and she offered to bake them for us! She said she could do it in a half hour.Then we started enlisting for help by making a group on Facebook and sending around a sign up sheet to the ward members. Whatever didn't get filled in we just asked people directly to donate and everyone was more than happy to participate. Within a few weeks we had what we needed.
The reason we had this idea is because Ryan Taylor's mom is in charge of an Enrichment group in her ward called "Feeding the Homeless" group. She does it once a month. Ryan and Lindsay did it with our ward last spring. One night in September Isaac told me "We're having a meeting with Ryan and Lindsay about how we're going to feed the homeless." We met in their apartment and thought of the name "Down-N-Out Diner." Ryan created a Facebook page and people became fans.
It was so awesome to see how many people wanted to help!! Whenever I listen to the news I get so depressed sometimes with all the negativity but then I get the opportunity to see people do good things and it makes me so happy. Tons of people went through great lengths to prepare the food and I had a few friends drive from North Salt Lake to deliver the food to my apartment. Most everyone said "Please let me know what else I can do. I am more than happy to help!" So sweet!
When we were carting the food to the serving area I heard one man say "It's like Christmas!" That made me smile. There were soooo many men standing in line. I asked the girl in charge how often the men get a meal like this and she said "once a quarter." No wonder they were so stoked! The men were so grateful and so sweet. One guy said "You're an angel!" I almost started crying so I had to look down and smile.
Many thanks to all the family and friends that helped with this project. Our goal is to do this once a month. I hope this is something that can continue for many years. I would love for my kids to be involved and make this a family affair.
Comments