Early Voting
Did you know at least 140,000 people in the Salt Lake county have already voted? I was very impressed with the line tonight when I early voted. It's never been that long when I've voted in the past. Perhaps it's because this year is a presidential election. I love early voting because:
1. I don't have to stand in an extremely long line next Tuesday.
2. It's comforting to know I've cast my vote in case something comes up on election day and I can't make it to the polls.
I encourage anyone that hates long lines or feels rushed on election day to vote early! You have until Thursday Oct. 30th.
Also, I've become completely inspired by Barack Obama these past several weeks. In a nut shell- his optimism (his platform sums it up), ideas (tax breaks for the middle class), morals (exceptional father and husband), abilities (uniting America and bringing hope), and cute family (LOVE Michelle and the girls!) are what I want representing America. I hope he wins!--Lesley
Comments
When do we get to see baby Will?
go obama go!
He doesn't want to give a "tax break" to 95% of the population, he wants to overtax the top 5% who are already paying hefty taxes and hand checks to people who don't pay any taxes. What would my motivation be to work hard if the more I make, the more he takes. I might as well sit around doing nothing and get my handout in the mail. I believe in industry and I believe in being rewarded for a job well done. Business have a choice of where they are located and we already have the 2nd highest corporate taxes in the world. Raising them higher would drive businesses out of the country and decrease jobs, therefor decreasing consumer spending and failing to heal our already broken economy. I believe in capitalism. I believe in the way it works.
I could go on and on. I'm not saying there is nothing good about the man. He seems like a great husband and father. (Although I am ENTIRELY against every position he's ever taken on abortion and his comment about not wanting his daughters to be punished with a baby sickens me.) He is passionate, he is a great speaker (as long as his speech as been written out for him ahead of time...). He is motivational and has brought an interest in the political process that this nation hasn't seen in years. He promises change and I think he will deliver it. It's just not the kind of change I want.
And I agree, the current administration has been frustrating and taken rights from us. Although I do support the war - not all aspects of it, but there is a time to defend your home, your country, your family and your beliefs. The times we're in remind me of situations in the Book of Mormon when the righteous were supported by the Lord in war. (Not that all righteous choices have been made by our leaders by any means!) I believe Barrack will take away some of our rights as well. Two wrongs don't make a right to me. And this isn't saying I'm happy with McCain either. Frankly, I'm not happy with the choices I've been given, but if I have to choose between two piles of poo, I'll choose the smaller one.
See now, you made me get on a soapbox. We miss you guys!
So"cial*ism\, n. [Cf. F. socialisme.] A theory or system of social reform which contemplates a complete reconstruction of society, with a more just and equitable distribution of property and labor.
Barrack Obama: "I think when you spread the wealth around it's good for everybody."
"And I think one of the tragedies of the civil rights movement was that the civil rights movement became so court-focused, I think there was a tendency to lose track of the political and organizing activities on the ground that are able to bring about the coalitions of power through which you bring about redistributive change, and in some ways we still suffer from that."
Now I don't want you to think I believe Obama is out to destroy our country. I think he really believes in "equitable distribution". I just disagree with him. Before this life we were given a choice between having choices and not having choices. The Lord's plan has never been "I will force you to give to and serve those less fortunate than yourselves." It has always been "I command you to serve one another, but the choice is yours." I do believe in helping others and Ben and I donate time, energy and resources frequently, but I don't believe in being forced to do so. That was a plan I didn't choose in the past and I refuse to choose now. To me, socialism is a corruption of the Law of Consecration. One is a choice, the other is not.
Seriously, I'll shut up now.
No hard feelings. I just disagree. I do see him as a socialist. His campaign has literally and very seriously threatened many people who have been scheduled for television and radio interviews to speak out against him or to tell the truth about his past. One example: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/15428/ The instant Joe Wurzelbacher asked him a simple question about how the "tax breaks" would affect him, a background check and illegal personal file checks were run on him by major Obama supporters.
Isaac
Major Obama “supporters?” Who are the supporters? Because you can’t hold Obama responsible for his supporters just like you can’t hold John McCain responsible for his supporters. Have you seen Obamas answer to Joe’s Question. Watch the whole thing with out any editing or analysis. Obama makes a ton of sense. Especially when he talks about how when Joe started out he was making a lot less than 250,000 a year and that when he was starting out a tax break would have helped him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFC9jv9jfoA
I aIso read what was on this link (http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=79308) that you sent me and it didn’t say that it was an illegal search. It said that they were looking into it and that it seems like it was a common practice sort of thing. They also made a statement saying it was non political. There is no reason for me to believe that this person, Helen Jones Kelley, did the search for political reasons.
Sarah
So yes, I do believe freedom of speech is on the line.
Isaac
As for this point I will reiterate my statement about Barack Obama’s career ensuring that underserved people maintain their rights.
Sarah
He doesn't want to give a "tax break" to 95% of the population, he wants to overtax the top 5% who are already paying hefty taxes and hand checks to people who don't pay any taxes.
Isaac
Sarah, you and I are in similar circumstances financially and we pay about the same amount on taxes. I most likely will never be rich. I do not deny that it could happen that I sell a song to a famous singer and suddenly find myself swimming in money. Until that happens I will probably never ever make 250,000 dollars a year. I might get close and if I do make more than that I would be willing to give up half of that so that a working single mother can support her child, have access to health care and save for her childs education. Because that is not socialism it is decency. Because half of 250 is still 125 and Mr. Obamas plan will not take half. Do you know what kind of life you and Ben could live with $125,000 a year? When I think about that much money I think really I would probably feel sick about it when there are people who have absolutely nothing. As a Christian I feel that wealth becomes indecent when my brothers and sisters go with out basic necessities. On top of that, none of what we have is ours anyways. King Benjamin reminds us that we are all beggars. Your income is not yours according to Jesus. He only asks for 10% back though he most graciously lets us keep the rest.
I agree with you about being forced to give, it is not the right way. So I encourage you to vote and get as many people as you can to vote for the person who is asking the least of you. If that doesn’t work and by some miracle Barack Obama comes and forces you to give to poor people, tell him no. You have that right as an American citizen, to tell your government no. You can write a letter to your legislator and get others to do the same you can do as I have done and protest the decisions that your president has made. You can, as a last resort, evade your taxes. I, however, make the choice to pay taxes and support people who ask me to pay taxes because I believe in Libraries and U.S.Mail and Public school and fire fighters and policemen and a myriad of social programs. But I protest when they use my taxes to kill people or give tax dollars to private schools in voucher form.
I was talking with my friend about this issue and his father makes about half a million dollars a year, maybe more, and is pretty pissed about Obamas tax plan but he has a swimming pool and his kids go to a private school so it is hard for me to feel bad. Even if Barack Obama does take half of his half a million dollars, which he won’t he will still have a quarter million dollars. He will still have his swimming pool and he will still be able to send his kids to a private school. He then told me that his dad purposely will try to make less money if Mr. Obama is elected so that he won’t have to pay as much in taxes. I thought “good” that means that somebody else can grow their business to take the business that he is not taking and that person can have a pool and send their kids to a private school as well.
Sarah
What would my motivation be to work hard if the more I make, the more he takes.
Isaac
Working hard feels good and it provides for your family. The more you make the more you are helping the least of these our bretheren. It is all about your attitude.
Sarah
I might as well sit around doing nothing and get my handout in the mail. Isaac
Barack Obama is the first president since FDR to propose a system in which the youth of America can volunteer for their community or country in return for help with school. That is not a handout it is a dang good idea imagine the work that could be done and the people that could be educated.
Sarah
I believe in industry and I believe in being rewarded for a job well done.
Isaac
Me too.
Sarah
Business have a choice of where they are located and we already have the 2nd highest corporate taxes in the world.
Isaac
I would like to see a source on this. Not Glenn Beck or Howard Stern.
Sarah
Raising them higher would drive businesses out of the country and decrease jobs, therefor decreasing consumer spending and failing to heal our already broken economy.
Isaac
People are never going to stop buying stuff.
Sarah
I believe in capitalism.
Isaac
Why?
Sarah
I believe in the way it works.
Isaac
It hurts people.
Sarah
I could go on and on. I'm not saying there is nothing good about the man. He seems like a great husband and father. (Although I am ENTIRELY against every position he's ever taken on abortion and his comment about not wanting his daughters to be punished with a baby sickens me.)
Isaac
I am unfamiliar with the above mentioned comment and the only things I have ever heard Mr. Obama say about abortion always have to do with teaching kids about the sacred nature of sex, making sure that anti abortion laws take into account the life of the mother and that we need to work together to prevent unwanted pregnancies in America. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7673042.stm
Sarah
He is passionate, he is a great speaker (as long as his speech as been written out for him ahead of time...).
Isaac
Who does it off the cuff anymore anyways?
Sarah
He is motivational and has brought an interest in the political process that this nation hasn't seen in years. He promises change and I think he will deliver it. It's just not the kind of change I want. And I agree, the current administration has been frustrating and taken rights from us. Although I do support the war - not all aspects of it, but there is a time to defend your home, your country, your family and your beliefs. The times we're in remind me of situations in the Book of Mormon when the righteous were supported by the Lord in war. (Not that all righteous choices have been made by our leaders by any means!)
Isaac
I would like some one to show me one ounce of proof that this country is “righteous” enough to merit a license from God to kill innocent children.
http://baltimorechronicle.com/2008/102808FAIR.shtml
Sarah
I believe Barrack will take away some of our rights as well.
Isaac
Which ones?
Sarah
Two wrongs don't make a right to me. And this isn't saying I'm happy with McCain either.
Isaac
I kind of like McCain. I think he is a great man. He has served our country selflessly and honorably what’s wrong with him?
Sarah
Frankly, I'm not happy with the choices I've been given, but if I have to choose between two piles of poo, I'll choose the smaller one.
Isaac
You should check out Ralph Nader.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzmly28Bmg
I just fundamentally disagree about abortion. Unlike most of the nation, I don't separate choice and life - I believe in both. Only I don't believe pregnancy is the choice, but the consequence. The choice is made when you drop your pants. And I believe in consequences. There's always adoption, but killing babies is wrong.
I find it very offensive that you think I or Barack Obama want to kill babies. My position on abortion is the same as the LDS church. I am against abortion except in the case of rape, incest, or health of the mother. Neither party shares this view exclusively, but Barack Obama's opinion comes closest.
Moreover, I am glad to hear that Obama is personally against abortion and is willing to move past the pro life/pro choice discourse and discuss the question which is the heart of the issue: how do we decrease the overwhelming rate of abortions in our country?
I don't believe making abortion in all cases illegal is the answer. To me, education and helping the poor are the two key answers.
I find our country in a historical time right now as we face international crisis' and calamities worldwide, yet it is an exciting time as we see more and more people recognizing that we have been traveling down a dead end road with the Bush Administration with the support of John McCain. Obama has reached across party lines, racial lines, socioeconomic lines, gender lines and many more to unite our country and restore confidence in America. He inspires people, something a president should do, he is intelligent, something a president should be, he focuses on the problems that we face, he is honest with the American people and has America's best interest at heart. I could go on and on, but one last comment I would like to make on this subject is that he is respected and supported across the world which is what we need so desperately at this time. GO OBAMA!!!!!!
And for the sake of our country, I hope you're right about him.
Love you guys!
Thanks I appreciate that.
Love you too!
I can't wait to read about Maddy's birthday