Bickmore Buzz May 31, 2020

Wow. What a week. This morning I expressed that this week I've felt mostly numb. Wednesday night, I logged into Twitter and watched the full 8 minute video of the killing of George Floyd. It was very disturbing and upsetting. I then watched some footage of the rioting in Minneapolis and saw other horrific things. Thursday morning, I found out that Randi Allen, our family's dear friend, passed away from cancer. It was a lot to take in. I love Randi so much. I have so many fond memories of going to the beach and playing at her home with her daughter Alyson. I've known Alyson since she was four years old and I consider her more of a sister than a friend. I have a Marco Polo message saved from them from last summer when I had my surgeries. I watched it a few times when Randi was dying. Randi and I were able to text each other over the last few weeks when she started her final round of chemotherapy.

I've been feeling all the feels. Gratitude for hospice and that Randi had a peaceful passing surrounded by loved ones. Anger that George didn't get that. Sad that Alyson no longer has her mother with her on earth. Sad that George's daughter will no longer have her father. Happy that the Allen's are planning a celebration of life at the beach, Randi's favorite place. Frustrated that rioters are looting and destroying small businesses, burning buildings, beating people. Hopeful and moved to tears by the peaceful protesting and footage of communities coming together.

This morning during our virtual ward council meeting, the young women president shared a verse from the book of Mormon. It's when Christ appeared to the Nephites. 3rd Nephi 11: 14 "Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may bfeel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the cGod of Israel, and the God of the whole dearth, and have been slain for the sins of the world." I welled up. It brought so much peace to hear her read the words of the Savior. He knows my pain and the pain others are feeling. 

I felt like I needed to tell the boys about what's been happening. So I did. It was a sobering realization as we were talking, that when I was Van's age, Rodney King was beaten and the LA riots ensued. That was 28 years ago. Once I realized not much has changed, I felt angry and hopeless. My colleague said that she thinks this time, things will change. Sorry to be bleak, but I thought the same thing about gun regulation after Sandy Hook. But, nothing happened. I was very hopeful after the students organized after the Parkland shooting and there were walk outs nation wide. Then. Silence. Again. Women thought the ERA would pass back in the 1970s. In 2020, 38 states have finally ratified it, but that means 12 have not. I recall watching the video in 2014 when Eric Garner was choked to death by a police officer. Those who watched the same video, did not charge the officer of a crime. He walked away a free man. Insane. When we visited the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis and the MLK memorial in Atlanta, much of the words MLK proclaimed in his speeches are pertinent today. So, I ask myself, "Will things actually change this time?"

Today on my walk, I saw my neighbors coming out to sit outside. They are a young black family. I had a nice visit with them. When I came home, I listened to Tracy Chapman's album. I began feeling angry again. Angry that my neighbors and the black community have to fear doing normal day to day activities in 2020. It's just NOT RIGHT. Isaac gave me a hug in the midst of my frustration and sadness. Then we drove to Sonic and bought lemonades. Afterward, we visited sweet Carolyn Burris, the widow from our ward. Van told her some jokes and she laughed and lit up. Then we came home, ate spaghetti and watched Fantastic Mr. Fox. I made a pan of rice krispy treats. It was a happy ending to a sad day/week.

Here are the HAPPY moments of our week!
We bought an annual membership to Powell Gardens. The weather this weekend was beautiful so we went Friday and Saturday. It's 20 minutes from our house and such a lovely place. 
Strawberries from our garden! They're mushy though so I made strawberry jam with them. Yummy! The jam was delicious on my chocolate chip waffles and greek yogurt pancakes too.

More scenes from Powell Gardens



They have some fountains the kids can run in. Van was so excited to take off his shirt and shoes and run through the water!

I love all the green in Missouri!

Geese on the lawn (Powell Gardens)

Molding Monday


The Launch! We witnessed history on Isaac's phone! We were on our way to Powell Gardens and had to pull over in Pittsville to see it! No, that's not a typo. The town is really called Pittsville. 
Trampoline water balloon fight with the Sentgeorge's. They are our "connecting family"---the one family we choose to have close contact with during COVID. A fine choice! 

So long indeed! Will is looking forward to middle school.....kind of. :)

It was also fun having a virtual game night on Friday with my Utah besties. We played code names. I love how I'm learning to connect more through virtual means with my faraway family and friends. 
I hope everyone has a good week! Love ya!

Comments

Craig Schow said…
"Maybe together we can get somewhere... and finally see what it means to be living." -- Fast Car (Tracy Chapman)

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

4 months old