Grandpa John Bickmore

“Wherefore, do the things which I have told you I have seen that your Lord and your Redeemer should do; for, for this cause have they been shown unto me, that ye might know the gate by which ye should enter. For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost. And then are ye in this strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life; yea, ye have entered in by the gate” (2 Nephi 31:17–18).
The day after Van was baptized and "entered in by the gate", our grandfather, John Bickmore, Steve's dad, entered the gates of paradise. When Steve got off the plane after flying back to Las Vegas from Kansas City, his brother informed him that their father had passed away that morning. It was such a memorable weekend together and we were so sad to hear this news. Grandpa Bickmore was the one that introduced Isaac to the ukulele. He gave Isaac his first ukulele and taught him the chords to play some songs. I'll never forget the trip when he gave Isaac an 8 string ukulele handcrafted in Hawaii. Isaac understood what a valuable gift that was and takes the utmost care of it. Along with the gift of music, Grandpa also exemplified the gifts of faith, testimony, humor, hard work, frugality, and wisdom. I remember people telling us to drive the Flagstaff way from Phoenix to Salt Lake but we never wanted to because then we wouldn't get to stop and see Grandpa and Grandma in St. George. I loved stopping by and seeing them. They always made us feel so welcome. I loved visiting with Grandpa while he would sit in his recliner chair. I remember one Sunday hearing a voice message from him asking how we were doing because it had been a while since I had updated the family with a Bickmore Buzz. It warmed my heart knowing that he and Grandma were faithful readers of The Bickmore Buzz. 
We were grateful we got to be at the funeral. Isaac sang "How Great Thou Art" with an interlude of "Be Thou My Vision". Before he performed, he said, "I'm wearing my Grandpa's tie and I'm playing his favorite hymn on his ukulele." He did an amazing job and I'm so proud of him for keeping his composure. I don't know how he did it. 
In July, we attended the Bickmore family reunion in St. George. Aunt Leesa informed me of Grandpa's condition--that he was basically on life support. I realized then that this would most likely be my last time with Grandpa. I had lots of therapeutic cries with Abbey and Isaac. Grandpa stood and offered words of wisdom--to always express our love for each other. It was beautiful, the way he stood and pointed his finger just as he does when he has something important to say. 
The words of the hymn"Each Life That Touches Ours for Good" couldn't say better how I feel.
1.Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.
2. What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.
3. When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.
4. For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,

Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.






During the viewing, Curtis and I took these cuties trick or treating. My kids were so excited to be with their cousins on Halloween.

 I love this photo Dave took at our wedding 15 years ago.

Here's some more from over the years:







Yes, these are of baby William. What a sweetie!

We will miss you Grandpa Bickmore! We hope you are enjoying your time with your parents and loved ones that passed on before you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

4 months old