A decade old!

This boy.......


is 10!!

 I can't believe it's been a decade since I gave birth to William. It was such an easy birth--he was only 5 lbs. 5 oz. and was out in 3 pushes.  I didn't know my heart could love so big so instantly. I have such fond memories of his first year. I lived close to my BFF Trish. We would take our boys on walks at the West Jordan park, walk them to the library for baby story time, and trade off babysitting so we could sub and earn extra money. I would walk him to Gold's Gym and drop him off at the child care so I could do a fitness class. We read lots of books and sang and danced. I didn't miss teaching at all. I loved being a new mother and staying home with my sweet boy.

William is such a deep thinker, much like his father. I remember him asking me questions about God when he was a sunbeam and thinking "I don't remember wondering about God this deeply until I was in high school." He is very sensitive and empathetic. When he was 2 1/2, we saw the musical HONK. When the ugly duckling was singing a song about being all alone, William was worried and started to cry. To this day, if he hears a sad or inspirational story, his eyes well up. I love that he thinks deeply and feels so passionately.

William has a friend, Edith, she goes by Eddie. (eeedy) She is always giggling at William and William loves to perform and make her laugh. I love sitting on the sidelines, watching the two interact. Much like Isaac keeps me laughing, I imagine William will do the same for his spouse one day.

William is working on building his confidence and accepting the reality that failure is part of life and learning. He hates to fail and disappoint. We encourage him and assure him that our love is unconditional, that we will accept him for who he is no matter what mistakes he makes. I'm glad that growth mindset is becoming a main focus in classrooms. To train our minds that we can't YET vs. we can't is a valuable life skill.

He is into the Legend of Zelda and Marvel. Those two subjects are almost always the topic of conversation when William is around. He's been begging me to watch Infinity War with him and I need to make it happen over the holidays. No excuses!

This year for his birthday, Isaac planned a Zelda party. He wrote a script for a quest and enhanced the experience with homemade weapons, a map, and a live battle at the end for the master sword. It was indeed an epic party. William wore his Zelda costume to make sure he was in true character.


Will's friends and some of their dads helped with the quest.

He's up to my chin!


We were up late the night before getting the kitchen ready. That poster took me forever to make, but I was proud of it. 



Happy 10th birthday Will! We love you!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

4 months old