Hi Family!
We've had a busy two weeks! The thing about Halloween is, once it's over, the craziness really begins with Thanksgiving and Christmas. We've been freezing our buns off!! It's been in the 50s and high 40s and we are such babies about the cold. I remember our first winter in Arizona laughing my butt off at everyone bundling up to the max when it was in the 50s and 60s, but now I'm that person!! We are going to be miserable when winter hits. Our friends tell us that it hardly snows here too so it's just cold and miserable. Waaaaa!!! I guess we'll have to have lots of movie parties with treats galore.
The good news is we're getting a new family member for Christmas! Meet Heidi, the Australian Shepherd Poodle! Isn't she so cute?! Our friend, Michelle Bisson's in-laws are giving her away and we got first dibs. We asked if they could wait until Christmas for us to pick her up since she's in Utah and they agreed to that. We face timed with them and they showed us all of her tricks and cuteness. She reminds me of Gladys, my favorite dog of all time. Sweet, doesn't shed, well trained, etc.
This tiny dog is Caesar and he stayed with us for a week. He was the reason we agreed to get Heidi. The boys (me too!) had fun taking care of him. When we were sitting around the table making final decisions on whether or not we were going to take Heidi, Isaac looked at me with big puppy dog eyes and asked, "So? Are we getting Heidi or not?" I replied, "We only have one life to live, why not live it with a dog to make memories and have fun with for the next twelve years!" The boys cheered.
 |
| Caesar took turns sleeping with Will and Van each night. |
 |
Our cute moms (and John!) together at Lisa's poetry reading held at Westminster College. I'm so glad my mom went! |
 |
| We ate dinner with our friends the Hartzog's (Caesar's owners) to celebrate Kenneth's birthday. Van loves dressing up! |
 |
| Halloween was busy this year! The Saturday before, Isaac and I along with two others were in charge of our ward's Trunk or Treat. It turned out great and everyone had a good time. On the day of Halloween, I was in charge of William's classroom party since I'm the room parent. First, I stopped at Maple Grove to see Van at his party for a little bit. Then I went straight over to William's school for their party. |
 |
| Go Van! Go Van! |
 |
| For Will's party, I planned four different stations. At this station, the kids had to wrap each other up as a mummy using toilet paper. |
 |
| I dressed as a pirate. William was Lunatic Coltist from Terraria. I managed the treat table--Spooky Trail mix and juice. |
 |
| They had to throw the cotton ball into the sticky web. |
 |
| Crafting a skeleton with Q-tips. The kids really enjoyed the party. Yay! |
 |
| Our spooky pumpkins! We love carving pumpkins! |
 |
| Van wanted to be a mummy for trick or treating. They got cold really fast and we basically went around the block and came back home. Then we watched the Goosebumps movie. Van was spooked at bed time. Ha ha. |
 |
| I started substitute teaching this week! I'm teaching at the boys' schools since we only have one car right now. Even though I limited myself to two schools I had four sub jobs this week! My first job was KINDERGARTEN. Deep breaths. Ha ha! It was rough. I don't know how those Kinder teachers do it. At one point in the day, I saw one of the girls rubbing a glue stick all over her face and I felt like I was in the Billy Madison movie. Ha ha! On Friday, I subbed for second grade and when I went to drop off the class at P.E. I went to say hi to Van in the cafeteria during his lunch. His tooth was hanging off his gum, so I twisted it and it popped right out! We started laughing and went to the nurse together to put the tooth in a treasure chest and rinse out his mouth. It's so fun being on campus with him again for little moments like that! Van can hardly wait for the day when I'll be his sub. In fact, I got to sub his class for 30 min on the day I was a floating sub. His class was so cute and it was fun to see Van reading on the carpet. Mostly, subbing is tiring. The kids like to act out so I had to be strict to let them know when I sub they can't walk all over me. :) BUT the best part is when I can just leave after school and not have to face the same class the next day! AND I can sit and relax when they go to specials instead of racing around making copies and getting things ready. |
 |
My friend Teresa and her kids came over for treats tonight and we made a massage train using our feet. Isaac also helped the kids make a fort with the couches. It was a lot of fun. I want to organize Sunday night dinners to take away the Sunday blues.
Today was fast Sunday and we fasted for Grandma Dana and Great Grandma Mary's family. Great Grandpa Bill just passed away after a long fight with Alzheimer's. He actually came down with pneumonia and couldn't recover. We'll miss seeing him when we go to Utah. He was like a big teddy bear--so friendly and kind.
Overheard at our house:
- Yesterday William and Van defeated the destroyer in their game Terraria. They were jumping up and down yelling, "We beat the destroyer! We beat the destroyer!" William had prayed at breakfast that he could beat the destroyer. He said, "I guess Heavenly Father really does care about my video games."
- Van noted last night, "Mom, even though I lost a tooth, I still have my sweet tooth because I just love candy so much!"
- Last Saturday morning at breakfast the boys and I were reading our scriptures and one of the verses led into the discussion about things with eternal value. We talked about how we can take our knowledge, faith, and family with us to heaven, but not our toys and money. So, it's important that we treasure and build up the things that will last forever. After that discussion, Van wanted to prepare a lesson. He showed us the video "The Great Samaritan" and we sang the song "Jesus said love everyone." He was so sweet about it and told Will and I that if we see someone who needs help, then we should help them. Yesterday, I saw a family with a sign "Please help, God Bless" so we stopped and helped them the best we could. Van said, "Mom, that's what Jesus would have done, right?" Kids are such powerful teachers! They both have such big hearts and love to help people. I hope that desire never leaves them. It was a great moment for me as a mom and definitely one I wanted to record.
|
Comments