Bickmore Buzz Nov. 20, 2016

Hey there family!

We had a fabulous weekend and a pretty good week. We are ready for a 5 day vacation this week. Woo hoo! Isaac has some meetings Wednesday morning and then we are going to drive to Las Vegas to spend Thanksgiving with Grandpa Steve and Grandma Dana. We'll head home Saturday afternoon.

Isaac called me at school on Friday with some exciting news. His friend Jesse who went to ASU with Isaac and is currently working as a music professor in Virginia spoke with someone from USC at a music conference. He told Jesse there is a tenure track position opening up and asked Jesse if he knew of anyone to watch out for. Jesse proceeded to tell him about Isaac and filled him in on what Isaac's been focusing on with his research. SO, we'll see what happens but we're thrilled that a connection has been made with USC. Isaac's already applied for the position. We're hoping to hear back in December and January about interviews.

Friday night, our friends the Skidmore's babysat the boys for a few hours. Initially, we were going to go to the temple, but it didn't work out so we went to dinner at PF Chang's instead. This time of year is the best in Arizona. The air has finally cooled down to sweater weather. It was so nice walking outside on Mill Ave.

Saturday morning, Isaac did his NSF work in Gilbert and I took Van to his soccer game. I was so proud of Van because near the end of the game he threw in the ball right to his teammate and his teammate kicked the ball straight into the goal. I made a big deal about it because Van hasn't scored any goals. After the game, I babysat the Skidmore's kids for a couple of hours. When Isaac got home, I worked out and then took Van to the library. We checked out some Gerald and Piggie books. It's fun spending one on one time with Van. Once we got home, we drove to Goodyear with Austen (ASU colleague) for Isaac's office mate's baby shower. Man, Arizonans do not disappoint when it comes to parties. I can't believe all the time and preparation that goes into birthday parties and baby showers. We were there for over 2 hours. I and another guy won the scrabble game--we unscrambled 17 words in 3 minutes. I was kicking myself that I couldn't get all 25, but it ended up that I won anyway! My prize was a lovely gray infinity scarf. We also played a nursery rhyme game. Isaac knew a lot of the answers--I was impressed! One time, our friend Anna got an answer right and she was so excited she kicked up her leg and her shoe flew off her foot and hit the roof. It was so funny. I love Isaac's ASU friends. Will and Van had fun playing Minecraft with the other kids upstairs.

After church today, we watched Mr. Krueger's Christmas. Will and Isaac shed some tears together. It was cute. My friend Brooke and I planned a get together with friends from the ward. We asked people to bring a pie or a favorite Thanksgiving side. I made a giant batch of mashed potatoes. We had a good turn out considering the fact that we put the word out yesterday morning. We held it at Kiwanis Park and called it "Pie in the Park".  I love having "family" dinners on Sundays. It takes away the Sunday night blues.

Overheard at our house:

  • Will and Van were grounded from video games this weekend because (a) Van pushed a boy at school and (b) they have been fighting A LOT lately with each other. Yesterday after the baby shower, William said, "Sorry I played Minecraft Mom" (there was an Xbox at the house where the baby shower was) "It's just that I didn't have a choice. The only toys they had were dolls and a play kitchen."
  • Yes, Van did push somebody. The boy he pushed is ten times bigger than him. He pushed him because he was stacking the chair that Van wanted to stack. We had Van write the boy an apology note. He's been better since then. 
  • Tonight Isaac remarked, "We have a good looking family." I followed up by saying, "Ya William is so handsome and Van is so cute." Isaac said, "Oh, you're both cute and handsome." Then Van clarified, "I am cute and handsome, but William is handsome and cute." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

4 months old