Daddy-O
William Kincaid GarrettOct. 12, 1930- Feb. 4, 2010
Today was a beautiful day. The sun was shining and it was so warm even the ice cream truck came singing down our street. Hilarious! 2 years ago, it was also a beautiful day. About 1:15 in the afternoon I witnessed my dad's spirit leave his body and meet his maker. The sun shone down upon his bed and it was like the heavens opened to greet him.
My family gathered this morning at my mom's house for breakfast. We laughed and cried about what we miss and what we remember. We laughed about his skepticism of doctors, the way he couldn't make any sound when he would laugh REALLY hard, how well he could dance, his ability to comfort you when you were sad or anxious, how he always gave compliments, his life stories i.e. when he was fostered by a Jewish doctor during his early childhood, his starring roles in some plays including "Picnic", and tales about his grandmother, Arkansas (Cancy). When we left for home, Kelly and Curtis gave each family a balloon to release outside. When we got home, me, Isaac, Lana, and the boys went in our backyard and said "Goodbye, Grandpa Garrett!" and released the balloon. I stood and watched it until I couldn't see it any longer thinking about how much I love and miss my dad.
Comments