Best Brothers

If I Had a Dragon is a story about Morton whose Mom tells him to play with his baby brother in the sandbox. Morton resists and wishes his baby brother was a dragon because a dragon would be a much more fun playmate. While dreaming of the exciting things he and the dragon could do together he also sees why the dragon wouldn't make a suitable playmate. (i.e. a dragon is too tall to take to a movie). In the end, Morton is happy to have his baby brother and decides he is fun after all.

When I read this story to William he remarked on the last picture where it shows Morton and the baby brother playing in the sandbox with pails on their heads "Like me and Van!" I love that he made this sweet connection about his own baby brother.

Growing up, I was so grateful to have my twin sister as my best friend. Of course we had our occasional disputes but overall we were inseparable. We relied on each other, looked after one another, laughed a lot together, and were glad we lived as roommates until our sophomore year in college. I hope Will and Van grow up to be good friends. In fact, I have already seen a friendship developing between these two.

This morning William approached me and asked, "What Van doing Mom? Come and see." I walked around the corner and there was Van smacking the blinds against the wall. I pulled up the blinds. Will then rebuked him with "No, Van! That's dangerous!" He even used the finger point so Van would know he was serious.

Will wanted to sit on my lap to help spoon feed Van his rice cereal. He did a great job. He showed Van how to sign "more please" and "finished." He also loves to have a cup of applesauce whenever Van eats rice cereal.

When Van was wrecking our block creations I yelled, "Look out! It's the monster baby!" Will immediately stuck up for Van saying "He's not a monster!"

Will brings Van his baby toys if Van is playing with one of Will's treasured toys and makes the swap for him.

Will sticks the pacifier in Van's mouth and says "Here. You want your blinky?"

When Will peed in the potty the first thing he said was "Van wanna see!"

When Van was grabbing the colored pencils while we were coloring, Will smacked his forehead, bowed and shook his head and sighed "Oh. Van."

In the morning when they see each other Will greets him with "Oh hi Van!" Van flashes a big grin and reaches out to William.

One time I was holding Van on my lap on the couch and Will was doing a silly dance in front of us. Van was cracking up. It was hilarious.

I hope these two stay best brothers. I'm so grateful they are my sons. I've always been partial to boys and am so happy I got TWO.

Comments

Lisa B. said…
they are fantastic, those brothers! I love that Will recognized himself and Van in the book. What a smart boy!
Sophia said…
This is so sweet! I love those two and Deacon as cousins, I am excited for them to be best buds!
Caroline said…
These stories are so precious! Will is such a smartie and it sounds like he has that nurturing side already, I bet he'll end up being a teacher like his parents :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

4 months old