Call to Congress
In my efforts to reform health care in America, I took on the challenge to phone my representatives: Congressman Jason Chaffetz, Senators Orrin Hatch and Bob Bennett.
I did not speak directly with any of them, but did speak with their, I assume secretaries or some intern.
I began the conversation by introducing myself and included a schpeil about how I support Barack Obama and his three principles on health care which are:
1. Reduce health care costs
2. Guarantee choice – including a public insurance option
3. Ensure quality care for every American
I asked if Congressman Chaffetz supported President Obama on these three principles. Here's how it went:
Secretary of Chaffetz: No, Congressman Chaffetz does not stand with Obama on his health care plan. You can look at his website and see where he stands on the issue.
Me: Well doesn't he believe every American should have quality health care?
Sec: Well he wants every AMERICAN to have health care, but not the illegal aliens. Obama is for amnesty. Congressman Chaffetz is not. He does not believe in giving health care to illegal aliens.
Me: What about the children of illegal aliens?
Sec: Excuse me?
Me: The children of those illegal aliens. Does he believe in giving them health care?
Sec: He believes that those families should (pause) go back to their country together (fumbling) Sorry, I'm trying to figure out how to say it.
Me: I see. Well do you keep a tally sheet or something to keep track of how many constituents want him to support Obama's plan?
Sec: Yes. We inform Congressman Chaffetz. You can also mail him a letter. The address is on the website.
Me: What about email? Does he read his emails?
Sec: No I read them and tell him.
Me: well could you please tell him that I want every American to have health care?
Sec: Congressman Chaffetz doesn't believe in socialized medicine. He believes in creating competition for the physicians. He doesn't serve on the Health Care committee. He serves on the ____(can't remember, sorry!) committee. If you read his website you can see how he plans on voting on this issue and also read the other bills he is working on.
Me: What's the website?
Sec: www.chaffetz.org (NOTE to Nitty Gritty readers: I looked up this website and it doesn't exist. I googled Jason Chaffetz and found some .gov website for him. I couldn't find his beliefs on health care. Maybe someone out there could direct me to it.)
You should call congress too. It's quite fun and very insightful.
I did not speak directly with any of them, but did speak with their, I assume secretaries or some intern.
I began the conversation by introducing myself and included a schpeil about how I support Barack Obama and his three principles on health care which are:
1. Reduce health care costs
2. Guarantee choice – including a public insurance option
3. Ensure quality care for every American
I asked if Congressman Chaffetz supported President Obama on these three principles. Here's how it went:
Secretary of Chaffetz: No, Congressman Chaffetz does not stand with Obama on his health care plan. You can look at his website and see where he stands on the issue.
Me: Well doesn't he believe every American should have quality health care?
Sec: Well he wants every AMERICAN to have health care, but not the illegal aliens. Obama is for amnesty. Congressman Chaffetz is not. He does not believe in giving health care to illegal aliens.
Me: What about the children of illegal aliens?
Sec: Excuse me?
Me: The children of those illegal aliens. Does he believe in giving them health care?
Sec: He believes that those families should (pause) go back to their country together (fumbling) Sorry, I'm trying to figure out how to say it.
Me: I see. Well do you keep a tally sheet or something to keep track of how many constituents want him to support Obama's plan?
Sec: Yes. We inform Congressman Chaffetz. You can also mail him a letter. The address is on the website.
Me: What about email? Does he read his emails?
Sec: No I read them and tell him.
Me: well could you please tell him that I want every American to have health care?
Sec: Congressman Chaffetz doesn't believe in socialized medicine. He believes in creating competition for the physicians. He doesn't serve on the Health Care committee. He serves on the ____(can't remember, sorry!) committee. If you read his website you can see how he plans on voting on this issue and also read the other bills he is working on.
Me: What's the website?
Sec: www.chaffetz.org (NOTE to Nitty Gritty readers: I looked up this website and it doesn't exist. I googled Jason Chaffetz and found some .gov website for him. I couldn't find his beliefs on health care. Maybe someone out there could direct me to it.)
You should call congress too. It's quite fun and very insightful.
Comments
that is amazing that you are so actively involved. love it.
I think this is it. I haven't looked at it or anything, but that conversation was awesome. Way to go!