Will is allergic to...


Dogs and

Milk!

Today we went to the allergist. They did a skin test where the nurse wrote some letters on Will's back with an ink pen to indicate which allergen was tested. So, D__ stood for "dog." I wish we would've brought our camera because his back had a total of like 12 letters. Then the nurse took some plastic toothpick like tools, dipped each one in the allergens and poked it onto Will's skin. The pokes hardly phased Will and they didn't draw blood so that was a relief. Then we waited for 20 minutes to see how the skin reacted to the allergens. Two hives appeared. One hive was next to the W__ and the other hive was next to D__. "W" stood for whole milk. I was shocked when the doctor informed us William had a food allergy to milk. She said that would explain why Will would sometimes get a rash when he hadn't been exposed to dogs. So I, the mother, have to limit my intake of dairy foods so Will doesn't get a reaction. Once I do wean him off of mother's milk, he has to drink soy formula. When I read the list of foods under Milk allergy I thought "Wow I am going to become a creative cook!" Then I was frosting some cupcakes and thought "Wait! What do I bake for Will on his birthday?" That was a sad thought. But the good thing is we have this awesome resource called the Internet that has a butt load of milk-free recipes and information regarding food allergies. Since he does have a food allergy the doctor said no peanuts or tree nuts until he is three years old and no eggs until he is two years old.

I think the hardest thing about discovering Will has allergies to dogs and milk is that I've never had allergies so I don't know what it's like to get a reaction. Tonight our neighbor was telling us that he is allergic to dogs and I asked him what the worst thing about it is. His response was "People never take it seriously. They don't know how miserable you feel when you get a reaction." That was good for me to hear because sometimes as a first time parent I feel like people just think I'm paranoid so I may do something that I'm not comfortable doing just so I don't appear overprotective. The fact is that Will can't communicate how he is feeling so I need to take charge and treat his allergies seriously by doing my best to avoid the things he is allergic to.
They even trained us how to use an Epi-Pen. I have to get one tomorrow at the pharmacy. It's very unlikely he'll ever need one injected, but they always prepare parents just in case. I also asked the doctor if he would outgrow his allergies and she said "It just depends. He probably won't outgrow the dog allergy." So I guess we will have a fish tank for our family pet! I'm also going to make myself like soy milk (in case that allergy hangs around) so we can be soy buddies.

Comments

Amelia said…
You know, I was just thinking that I should try soy milk! Now I have another good reason. We are a fishtank family, and that is just fine with us! We love Will!
Fishtanks are WAY easier on Mom than dogs anyway! (So I've discovered). At least now you know what he's reacting to so you can make the changes you need to. Good luck!
Becky said…
Hey, can I ask why you had him tested?

Kaitlyn is 15 months and about 2 months ago she suddenly had eczema pop up all over. I had started whole milk before then by about a month and so I didn't think it was that.. but this past week I gave her a lot more milk than I normally do (we're almost done nursing) and she had red little bumps all over and her eczema got HORRIBLE! So I'm wondering if it's a milk allergy?

Will you email me the name of the Dr? I think it would probably be good to get her tested.. Drew is allergic to many animals and lots of environmental stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if she is too.

Oh, and I have friends with kids that have milk allergies.. the Vanilla Soy is supposed to be a better flavor than regular soy.

And for the epi pen, if they didn't mention it, it needs to be kept at a normal temperature. So don't leave one in a car that can get really hot.. if it's in your purse, make sure you don't leave it somewhere it can get hot or freezing. And when you pick it up, make sure it doesn't expire soon. Sometimes they give you one that is just in a few months and I've heard they can be $$$.

becky.young00 @ gmail.com
(no spaces and those are zero's, not O's)
Mike and Shayla said…
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this! Elise was allergic to milk when she was smaller, but she outgrew it by about 2yrs, thanks to strict avoidance. She was 9 months old when we found out, so I had to be milk free for the next couple months until she was weaned. It was hard to change all my cooking habits, but I came to LOVE vanilla soy milk on my cereal. I don't buy it any more, but sometimes I still crave Frosted Mini Wheats with vanilla soy milk.

You are lucky that the new food allergy labeling law is in effect now. It makes things so much easier.
Lisa B. said…
Poor little Will, though he looks none the worse for wear, so we'll all cooperate and it will be good. Good for you guys for being proactive in figuring it out.
The Smith crew said…
I was so surprised to read about the milk allergy! I have heard of several foods tasting better with soy, hope that is true. When I give formula to Christian he prefers the soy, so who knows maybe they will be soy boys together! What to do about Mayzee? Let us know what would make things most comfortable for Will!
ABick said…
oh no! that makes me so very very sad!!!
i think that you need to go back to the allergist and ask if it is dog HAIR or dog SALIVA because that just is super sad! poor william!
but at least it is only 2 things...
Sophia said…
Poor will! As long as he is not allergic to my smooches everything is fine with me!
DiaNe said…
I don't think you can use the phrase "butt load" when referring to recipes.
Macmoma said…
i have vanilla soy milk on my oatmeal - it doesn't taste bad.

Popular posts from this blog

Bickmore Buzz June-October 24, 2021

William Steven Bickmore

4 months old